HybridZ

Clutch woble

Guest paulkaroutas@earthlink.ne

I got a little slide hammer from Harbor Freight which has a little dual hook end. You stick the hooks into the bushing and then screw the handle down. That spreads the hooks so that they hang onto the inside lip of the bushing. Then you use the slide hammer to remove it. There are also pullers made for this specific task. The one thing I've tried that I wouldn't do again is hydraulic-ing the bushing out. To do this you fill the area with grease, then hammer a spare input shaft into the bushing and the pressure of the grease pushes the bushing out. That was a PITA.

Installation is pretty simple. Just get a socket that's the same size or close and hammer it in. Just have to be a little careful so that the bushing goes in straight.

Any Chilton's guide should have this stuff in it. If you aren't familiar enough to know where it is and how to get it out, you should probably be using a guide to help you along anyway.

Don't laugh, but the alternative to grease is toilet paper. Yea, I've heard all the jokes, but stuff the hole with wet toilet paper and hammer a rod just a little smaller than the hole, in the hole and the pilot bushing comes right out. You have to keep filling the hole as the paper compresses, but keep it real wet and it will work. I actually use my steel clutch alignment tool without the centering piece. It's alot neater than grease and when the bearing is out just pop out the wad with a screw driver. No clean-up.

There are a ton of one liners that come to mind, but seriously it works.

Jody