HybridZ

rebuild soon WOO HOO!! just one Q?

z_cars_rule

For the past 2 months my '81 has been smoking quite badly, the problem being shagged rings.

Now being a "while I'm at it" sort of person i have decided to give the whole motor a freshen up.

I am going 0.040 over bore with a 10:1 CR

light port and polish with reseated valves

new cam and full exauhst.

and of course new bearing/gaskets

Now to my question, when i get a new cam, do i need to replace my lash pads/rockers?

do you think 150 rwhp is acheivable with this?

Thanks for your time.

Guest bastaad525

I am going 0.040 over bore with a 10:1 CR

light port and polish with reseated valves

new cam and full exauhst.

and of course new bearing/gaskets

do you think 150 rwhp is acheivable with this?

Thanks for your time.

Well, for comparison, before my turbo swap I had done a mildly rebuilt L28 similiar to what you are going to do, including:

- L28 block fully rebuilt, bored .060 over, flat top pistons

- N42 head, light port and polish, stainless steel valves

- 10.3:1 compression

- Mild cam, 480 lift 270 duration

- Rebuilt SU's from Z therapy

- 3-2-1 header into 2.5" non mandrel exhuast, thru resonator and muffler, no cat

that combo put down almost 170rwhp and 170ft lbs of torque.

Before that, I had the same motor in my 280zx, the only differences were that I had just the stock cam, and of course, running EFI instead of the SU's. I had installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to richen it up a bit as it ran way lean after the build and would detonate pretty bad. With the fuel pressure up, I dynoed that setup and got 145rwhp and 165ftlbs of torque.

needless to say the SU's and cam really livened up the top end a bit :D at the cost of some low down grunt.

So yeah, 150rwhp should be no problem for ya :D

Thanks for all the replys guys.

I am going to be running a mildly ported N42 head and the exhaust i cant decide to go for a 2.25 or 2.5" mandrel system.

So bastaad525, do you recommend that i get an adjustable fuel pressure regualtor too?

Guest bastaad525

z cars rule - since you're asking that question I'm assuming you're running EFI? Then yeah, if you're build ends up like mine, you will probably need more fuel. Oh, I dunno how much difference it makes but I forgot to mention when the motor was in my ZX I also had a 60mm throttle body as well. With 100% bone stock EFI in my '80 ZX, at WOT my car would start to ping bad at around 4500rpm all the way to redline. One thing though... again, when it was in the ZX and had the detonation problems, I was running the stock cam. A hotter cam will lower dynamic compression, and may be enough on it's own to keep detonation from occuring. So, you may not need any more fuel.

The FPR was a good solution for me. I ended up turning the fuel pressure up to either 42 or 45 psi at idle with the vacuum line connected, so like 7-10psi increase if I'm not mistaken? And the slight richening didn't hurt 'normal' driveability. I also had to retard timing a bit... I had been running 12* BTDC, stock is 10* BTDC, but had to drop it to 8* BTDC after the rebuild.

There are of course, other methods of getting extra fuel, like larger injectors, which would give you much the same results, but minus the adjustability, which along with ease of install and tuning, were the main reasons I chose the FPR.

Yes i am running EFI, i dont know how our aussie fuel comapres to yours so i might just be able to get away with just a FPR and stock timing.

I will be getting it dynoed before and after at the same place to see the difference and how it is running so i could probly tune it all there to eliminate detonation.

Guest bastaad525

yeah this was on crappy California 91 octane fuel, I'm pretty sure you guys in Aus... and everywhere else for that matter, have better :D