HybridZ

front engine covers, exhaust manifold porting.

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys will a front engine timing cover where the front main seal goes the same for all Z engines?

like will a L24 one work just fine on a L28ET?

or vice versa?

also i did a search on this but wasnt clear on this 100%.

i know you can take abit out of the turbo flange but what about the runners off the head? can i open them up abit or should i not do so, maybe start cracks like that?

also should i make it as smooth as i can by the turbo flange?

mike

Mike, I will take a shot at this to spark some interest for your question.... I have had about a half dozen z's and everyone a 280. I can't count the 4 cylinder L16,18 thru 20's I have had .... the L16 and L20 B timing chain covers do not exchange with the L 20 B being taller and for this reason I would assume the 240 and 280 timing chain covers will not interchange since the 4 cylinder engines are just smaller versions of the 6 cylinder z engines with 2 cylinders less. I have a Mexican tiiming chain gasket set with both sizes of timing chain cover gaskets for the L heads but the label lists for all 4 and six cylinders overhead cam engines except the 2800 CC 280 Z engine

Six cylinder timing covers are all the same from 240z to 280zx including turbo. Diesel is taller like L20B (identified by two bolts close together by distributor hole instead of one for gas engines).

Keep in mind that the dist. drive must match the dist. type you are going to use. Turbo 280zx vs non turbo Z. The drives are interchangable in the covers.

I have all but the LD in my possesion currently. L24 through L28 and Turbo.

The timing covers ALL interchange. Even the oil seal is the same. They are all the same minus the Turbo type distributor drive. "drzed" is correct.

I beleive "here comes trouble" is also correct look up a part number and definition for a timing cover gasket for the your engine specifically the FelPro set. It comes with 2 sets inside. One covers the 4 cylinders and the other set covers the 6 cylinders.

Hey mike I just finished porting my exhaust manifold. I did the flange on both sides but only half the flange only where exhaust flow would go from larger to smaller. And not where it would just go small, larger, small. Then on my runners i removed some like 1/12"-1/8" off of the number 1,2,5,6 runners where the bolts go. Then on the turbo matched the flange and opened the downpipe are up alittle and angled the wastegate wall so its alittle smoother. Your welcome to come by and look at what i've done.

Guest ON3GO

ya ill try and come over this weekend.

ill be at jermerys place working on his Z this weekend, and he is right down the road from ya.

ill give ya a call.

mike

On the turbo exhaust manifold, there is a very large area to the left of the collector towards the number #1, #2, #3, #4 cylinders that hangs really low into the path of flowing air. It takes some work, but if you have so long burrs or long stones, you can get in there and really open things up. There is a lot of room for gain here, but takes patience when grinding as it will take awhile to remove the material. Cylinders 1-4 currently only have a small opening to travel through to make it to the collector. Open this up, and you can help flow in the manifold dramaticallyas this is a pretty good sized bottle-neck