HLS30%20011.jpg

rear.jpg

Rotation%20of%20HLS30%20010.jpg

1976 Datsun 280z

MSA fiberglass bumpers - welded up the bumper support holes in the rear

ZG Flares from classic datsun

BRE/421 Spoiler from classic datsun

Modern-motorsport Coilovers

Bone stock L28e (and a hole just before the muffler, for that pleasant lawn mower sound)

I bought the car in september 2003 for $500. Looks like this car was in southern oregon for most of it's life because it was nearly rust free. I spent the next year doing bodywork in my parent's garage. First time painting anything so I messed up and generally wasn't happy with the results.. So I ended up repainting it last January.

Wheels

ROH Snypers: 17x8 and 17x9 5" BS 4x4.5

These were specially made for a group buy that some MKII supra guys started January 2004, recieved the wheels December 2004. I actually found out about the GB by a member here, but as far as I know, I'm the only person with a Z in that GB. ROH kinda really screwed up the specs. Originally they promised 4" BS +10 in front and +0 in the rear. What they delivered was 5" BS and +17mm all around. Oh, and they put the front centercaps that are domed on the rear wheels and had a different size flat center cap on the front ... wtf? But for $710 shipped I can't complain at all. The front has 245/45/17 and the rears are wearing 275/40/17. Don't ask about the tires.. I was desperate, but they are directional.

With the coilovers the wheels cleared all the way around. The rear was a bit tight with about 1/16th of clearance between the perch and tire. The wheels also fit perfectly inside the fenders.. problem is, I had already put on the ZG flares and wanted that pushed out look. So I picked up some 1" adapters which put the wheels almost perfectly to the edge of the flare.

roh_snyper.jpg

Now what the hell am I doing on Hybrid Z? Glad you asked, I had originally planned on doing a SBC v8 swap, bought the JTR manual and was ready to go when the bodywork was done. But over the years of reading posts on this board, I decided to go for the L28et. Only problem was, I was having a hell of a time finding one. I finally found a running 280zx locally for $400 and jumped on it. Today my Dad and I went and picked it up and I'll be doing the swap in the next few weeks :D

turbo 005b.jpg

I've never been in a car with t-tops, it's pretty cool. I don't feel bad parting this one out either, it's freakin swiss cheese. The PO lived in San Fransico and it shows :eek:

In case anyone is wondering, I'm 20 and I did 95% of the work myself and paid for it myself. Huge thanks goes to my parents for letting me take over their garage for a year and half.

Now it's time to have fun and I can change the tag line in my sig :D

thats a sexy lookin Z! And a good choice on the powerplant, especially for the amt. of $ you spent on your ZXT. I spent exactly twice as much on my ZX Turbo but it had perfect wheels, very nice interior, etc. etc. I would have rather done what you have tho and got a cheap(er) running turbo donor car.

Guest Battle Pope

Whereabouts in So. Or. are you? There seem to be a bunch of us up in here! We should all get together sometime - have to wait till my Z is drivable though!

Whereabouts in So. Or. are you? There seem to be a bunch of us up in here! We should all get together sometime - have to wait till my Z is drivable though!

I'm in Rogue River right now.

nice ride!

I love the flares and the air dam.

Do you think they make them for an 82 280zx?

keep us up to date on the new zx. :]

I think you can get ZG flares for the 280zx, but they're only available in Japan. You can't get the exact same airdam I have for the ZX because the body is so different. But MSA sells several airdams for the ZX.

As for updates.. heh well, in a couple of weeks, it will be in a junkyard. My 280z looked just as bad as that 280zx, but the 280zx is full of holes. Well, I should say, it's missing large portions of "car" in several places. Like the cowl has rusted so much, it has 8-10" sections missing. It could be fixed sure, but I've seen nicer cars in the junkyard so it's not worth saving.

Guest Aaron
....but you need to do something about that tailpipe!

Thats what makes it a sleeper! :-D

In all seriousness, nice looking car. I usually don't care for 17's on a Z car, to me they often look like too much wheel and not enough tire, but you matched them really well to the look of car.

Really really beautiful car and always loved those Snypers....but you need to do something about that tailpipe!

Yasin

Yeah yeah I know, it got sprayed with clearcoat and turned a nice brown. But the 280zx tear down is moving along nicely and I should hopefully have it in the Z by next weekend. So I'm going to need an all new exhaust :D