HybridZ

Questions on L28E to L28ET...

Guest Nikolai

Guest Nikolai

Just took delivery of my '77 280z. I've been reading all I can but information is scattered at best. My question is how much is needed to go from N/A to turbo on the L28? I know some people just swap the whole thing from a 280zx because of the F54 block but would I need to? I'm not interested in running insane boost levels or anything. Also interested on others opinions on if I should go turbo or just do a V8 swap. Thanks in advance, any help I can get would be great.

Guest 260ondubs

Way too broad of a question that has been covered here many, many times. I am one who has converted an L28E over to turbo .... but I only did it because we can't get proper factory turbo engines here in Australia.

Everyone is right, just get a turbo motor and do the straight swap. Your life will be much easier. There is A LOT of things that need to be taken care of in converting over to turbo, and do it safely. Trust me, I know.

Do a search on here, it will reap much rewards.

I agree with 260. Look for a donor car or a turbo motor and your life will be much easier and in the end, cheaper. I was in the same position couple of months ago and ended up buying a donor car and saved $$ in the end. As for your question, SEARCH and you shall find lots of answers.

i plan on doing this conversion within the next couple of weeks, becuz my RB25 idea dropped through with summer school, can't work enough hours, so i can't afford the swap.

I think i have most of wht i need to do figured out, but the one problem i am lookin at is-where does the BOV go on the N/A turbo conversion? Wich vaccum line do u use?

• 2 weeks later...

BOV goes the same place it would on any turbo setup. intercooler piping between compressor outlet and throttlebody, exactly where depends on whether you are going to recirculate and where you feel like putting it. as for vacuum line source for the BOV, any vacuum line that sees manifold pressure.

If you're going to do what you're thinking about doing...yes you should set up your 2800cc L6 turbo like a 2800cc turbo is set up. First off, it would be better to use a '75-'76 N42 head rather than a '77-'79 N47 head because the N42 has square exhaust ports like the P90 turbo head does, which will best match the turbo manifold ports.

As to engine management, to run a turbo and keep the engine together you need ignition retard/knock sensor capability and larger capacity (turbo) injectors which is why others are recommending you just use an L28ET engine; because you have the benefit of qualified automotive engineering included in your purchase price...it's more complicated to piece-meal bits of expertise in order to patch together a half-baked chimera of a home-grown turbo engine. DAW