HybridZ

major ecu problem?

midnightzxt

I'm not exactly sure what is causing this, but I'm here looking for help.

My MSnS-E has lost power or signal 3 times in the last month. This is a very new problem as it was fine for 4 months of running time. Here is the senorio:

I'm driving at 75 mph and suddenly (while cruising, not necessarily accelerating) loose all power and there is no response under throttle. I pull over to the side, and the car will not start again. When the ECU turns on, the middle light (working as the spark signal) stays on. Then when I crank it flashes. Under normal operation, the middle light will stay off until cranking, and when the ecu turns off it will flash once (send a spark signal to discharge the coil?). I do not understand why it is doing this. Also, after about 20-30 minutes, the car will suddenly decide to work and then the car starts and you're off again.

Any thoughts?

Not an answer but a friend of mine had this issue also but not as bad. We were cruising along then the car just cut out. We pulled over, and checked for spark. Sure enough it was gettin spark and fuel but just didnt want to go. Gave it a few minues and then the thing started.

Could you maybe log it?

It might be reseting. You actually just need a computer hooked up to check this as it will beep when it restarts.

Might be a flaky ground or power source, or it can be power line noise causing processor reset.

You might want to put an inline filter (I think somewhere around a 20 amp one for a stereo) and try that.

Mario

I believe it goes in the cabin right before MS.

It also acts as a surge protector, so I've heard. I don't run one on mine, but Tony D and 1 fast Z do.

Check the msefi.com forums for exact placement, or just use the instructions as if it were a stereo.

Mario

PS I'm in Chicago

We had almost this identical behaviour on the TPI engine. Run for 20-40 minutes then BAM, dead. Spark would show, but noticed that it was yellow, instead of blue. Found out that the HEI module did not have heat sink compound when it was mounted and it was overheating. Properly mounted the HEI module and no longer have a problem. It was the same thing, you had to let it set like 20 minutes to cool down enough to restart.

ok, i'll try that moby. One other thing. I have the HEI module mounted on the left front shock tower where the old wiring harness used to run for the injectors, etc. It is about 2-3 inches from the post turbo intake pipe. Should I, and where should I move it to for better results?

I don't think you will dissapte enough heat by mounting the heat sink directly to the body of the car. I believe you will need a heat sink. And it definitely needs to mount flat to whatever so that the entire metal backing is in contact to transfer heat. In the GM dizzy the rotor acts as a cooling fan and the module mounts to a sizable chunk of aluminum (or is it steel can't remember). Just for an experiment mount it to a nice heatsink and see if the problem goes away. I am a big fan of easy experiments like this to make sure you are troubleshooting the right component.

I have mine mounted to the back of the relay box (under the board, actually) using the relay box for a heat sink, mounted to the body nameplate location just behind the strut tower, and have not had overheating problems as of yet.

Cheap modules seem to have more problems than the aftermarket units. Once I put the Perlux Flame Thrower in there, a lot of the spark issues (weak spark IMO) went away totally.

I carry a can of FREEZ-IT in every EFI car I have (even the 2000 Frontier!) because this will tell you IMMEDIATELY if it's heat related to a component. If it takes 20 mins with the hood up to restart, chances are good it's heat related. Drive around till it does it again, ZAP the component with a bath of FREEZ-IT and if you start right away, you determined the cause. Then determine WHY it's overheating (wrong location, inferior component, improper mounting/heatsinking) and you're through!

thanks guys, we still have to test it, but lots of work has been done in the last week. The HEI module has been attended to, the fuel rail has been tested and re-mounted (injector hoses), and we have just finished the new 3 inch exhaust. I have purchased and installed that wonderful LC-1 wo2 that you see on the ad above this post, and I must say I'm quite pleased with the service I recieved. Now, it's off to the dyno, and hopefully in august you will hear a number from me.

Tim