HybridZ

It is underway

Charlie... I might just have to "bookmark" this thread as the definitive source for the 280 hybrid "write-up on wire-up".....LOL when this is over you can start getting some sleep.......When I was away.... I went to sleep thinking Z and wondering usually the two same issues... has Charlie got his Z wired and if Mike Kelley was maintaing order and decorum on the set of Hybrid Z

You are right Larry. The wiring thing has had me flustered from the beginning. I will try to get my engine and transmission in later today/tonight. I have the engine pretty much together now and I am taking a little break before heading back out into the garage. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will have pics of the V8 mounted in the car tonight. Man what a milestone that will be!

Later,

CB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tony78_280z

Ok, suspense is killing me!! It's been a week now. What happend? Is it the screaming monster is should be, or does it still sit in the garage waiting those final few wires?

Charlie,

Did you get your fuel pump wiring all set? Back when I did my two 77 280Z's, I thought the wiring was quite simple, The JTR manual was quite clear, if used along with a Haynes manual wiring schematic. My JTR manual is the first edition, maybe later editions became unclear? Also, I hope my PM was clear to you.

Hello folks,

A little update on the project is in order here. I have not made a lot of progress in the last week due to me being in a class and working. I have hit a little bump in the road concerning the fit quality of the MSA drive shaft. It is too long!

This really bummed me out because I pulled the 355 and repositioned it as far forward on the MSA mounts that I could by drilling holes about ¾ of an inch forward of the original holes and the drive shaft is still too long to fit. :banghead:

I will visit a local drive shaft shop tomorrow when I am off to see what can be done. I wonder if MSA sent me the wrong shaft? :confused: I am using their mounts on both the engine and transmission but their drive shaft is not going to fit without it being cut down.

As far as the wiring goes, I may have it all figured out. However, I will not know for sure until I get it ready to fire up.

• 1 month later...

Update

I tried to hook up the battery to the Z tonight for the first time and the car tried to start. It seems like someone else here had this same problem a while back and I tried to search but I could not find the post. So here goes.

What have I got wired wrong to cause this? The car’s switch was in the off position but as soon as I hooked up the battery the engine turned over as if it was going to crank. I quickly disconnected the battery.

Man oh man I am soooo close to having my Z running with the V8! Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I have a mini starter from Summit and have the black and yellow wire connected to the solenoid and the thick white wire hooked to the large post on the starter along with the positive battery cable. I did not see anywhere to hook a ground wire or the negative battery cable. I thought that the Z car had a place for the negative cable.

I hope this helps describe my problem.

Thanks in advance for the help.

There should only be 2 wires going to the starter...

One should be a large cable from the battery going to the post on the starter

and

the second should be your ignition wire coming from the ignition switch going to the starter solenoid.

I think the black/yellow wire is your ignition wire but Im not 100% sure on a 280Z. What is the white/red wire for? The ground wire that was in my 280ZX went from tbe battery to one the starter mounting bolts.

Guy

Guy,

According to the JTR wiring diagram the black and yellow wire (wire #10) that used to go to the Z starter now goes to the “S†terminal on the Chevy starter solenoid.

The white wire (wire #9) that went to the Z starter now goes to the larger terminal on the Chevy starter solenoid.

And of course, the battery positive cable is hooked onto the starter.

Wait! I think I may have answered my own question here…I currently have the white wire hooked to the large terminal along with the positive battery cable. This may be my problem.

The Summit mini starter only has two terminals so I guess that I need to move the white wire to the solenoid to be with the black and yellow wire.

Problem found and fixed. The two terminals on the Summit starter are pretty close together and as luck would have it I had all three wires touching when I tightened them down and this caused my problem.

Stay tuned for a new post describing my very happy moment that occurred a few minutes ago :)