HybridZ

Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...

DAW

One of my favorite cars is my '82 Euro-market 230CE. For those who don't know (which would have included me before I bought it), it's a W123 series coupe with a 2.3L large-bore, short stroke 4cyl., f.i. and it has 4spd A/T. Gearing is 2.24 which means it shifts into 4th at 84 mph on the Autobahn when it's time to cruise for awhile. I love this car in spite of the German-language owner's manual and the complete unavailability of parts outside of Germany. I just had to fabricate a complete custom exhaust system for it which included a Car Chemistry "pre-muffler" to get the results I wanted. I'm putting in a 2.88 differential so that it will shift into 4th on American roads.

Anyway, that's not the point. I just bought a '82 380SEC for $500 (low Blue-book is $9,000). Great car but when the timing chain began slapping due to fragmented plastic chain-guides the previous owner should have realized something was amiss befor the valve train crashed leaving rocker arms scattered about and valves bent that won't close...

as I'm tearing down the engine, I realize...hey, this is an aluminum-block V8 that is a very upright design (low-width) and it is mechanically sophisticated (with an uncanny resemblence to the Nissan L-series heads)...if it weren't for the front-sump this would be a killer transplant into a Z-car. It comes in 3.8, 4.2, 4.5, 5.0, 5.6, and 6.9 versions.

Has anyone considered this engine source for a hybrid-Z? BTW, to solve my 380SEC project I just bought, on E-bay, a 3.2 dohc Mercedes V6 complete engine for $450. (From what I've seen, it's worth 10-times that.)

Any experience using Mercedes powerplants in early Z-cars? BTW, I also bought a 2.8L dohc inline 6-cyl/trans to potentially transplant. These things are like a work of art. Lots of engineering devoted...Zen and the Art of Z-car Hybridization is the means; and the end. DAW

Daw - Cooool post. I am big Mercedes fan and just recently sold my Euro Spec W124 Sportline E320 which was the last year for the twin cam straight six, 24V WITH variable valve timing (218hp and 220ft.lbs)

I think the 3.2L V6 are good engines and replaced the decades of Mercedes and their legendery straight six designs.

I would love to hear about your conversion of your 380SEC from the 3.8L V8 to the 3.2L V6. Personally I think the 3.8L V8 is very anemic, so I am glad you are not going to bother with it. $500 is a steal good for you - WOW!

I almost recently bought a 1989 560SEC, which I think is one of the sexiest cars still after being 20years old. Pillarless, long and sleek....mine would be lowered with 18" AMGs and that would be it....yum!

ad_1_b.JPG

I know I nuts....but this is my second fav. Benz of all time, 450SEL 6.9:

28_12_sb.JPG

Yasin

Guest ON3GO

yasin.. lol you would love my work then.

we get old benz's like that all the time.. we had 8.. yes 8 SEL's at the shop last week.

we get lots of CE's and a few Euro versions.

had a PRETTTY! 80's 325ci (i think ci) the other day in all vintage aftermarket parts from the 80's.. had a S14 motor swap and some other cool parts.

mike

toyoz - Wow....what an incredible conversion you done on your CE...absolutely love it....I would love to go for a spin! Congrats ultra ultra clean and beautiful.

Mike - When I come down to TX next can I come spend a day turning wrenches with you....sounds like therapy for me....!

Yasin