HybridZ

Heat gun paint stripping on F'Glass?

dot

Dear Abby:

I made my Fiber glass hood in the mid eighties and it has managed to accumulate three paint jobs since then. Ten years have passed since my last paint job and I feel it is now do for a repaint; however there seems to be the necessity to remove all these redundant layers of paint.

I have fallen in love with my heat gun. It has stripped away paint on far more projects than there has been time to repaint. Rust runs rampant.

My question is: Can any one see a problem with heat stripping a fiber glass hood? I know chemical stripper will work but I fear it might disturb the integrity of the gel coat underneath.

Signed: Middle aged over weight male Stripper

Use care in that the fiberglass and gelcoat will soften if excessive heat is built up. Too much heat will allow the scraper (putty knife, etc) that you will use to remove the paint to "dig in". Fiberglass has a high expansion coeficient when heat is applied as well. This will cause the panel to look odd if heat is only localized, but should even back out as it cools.