HybridZ

Replacement radiator

mom'sZ

I need to replace the stock radiator in my 77 280. It's a track car for road racing and the replacement need not be stock. An aluminum one would be nice, maybe something out of a late model so it's cheap (relatively) and readly available or trick aftermarket would be good. About the width and hieght of stock but thinner would be perfect. Anybody know a website where they show dimensions and inlet and exit locations for all models where you could pick one out, then order from parts house?

• 1 month later...

Well I've done quite a bit of searching and now time is getting tight. I see Summit has some universal radiators, has anyone tried these? My main issue is that most are crossflows with the upper inlet to the extreme left instead of offset a little to the center like stock. If anyone has a radiator that fits well in first gen Z, please help!

I did a little searching and there is info out there. With that said, the general concensus is regardless of which aluminum radiator you use, hoses will most likely have to be custom. I don't know what others did, but what worked best for me was using the blue silicone elbows with aluminum tubing. It's not the cheapest way to go, but the most convienient and best looking IMHO. You can get the elbow from Pegasus or Racer Parts Wholesale, and I'm sure other places.

sil90.jpg

I have the Arizona Zcar radiator which from what I hear is a Ron Davis unit. It's very nice, I NEVER have any overheating issues on the track, and this is with a very healthy L28. This requires custom hoses as well. The outlets on are 1.5" and the ones on the motor are 1 3/8". I used 1 3/8" silicone hoses which easily stretched over the 1.5" pipe and fit nicely on the engine side.

There's a few engine bay pics in my zdriver gallery if you're interested:

http://zdriver.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3088

JTR sells radiators for V8 Z cars. Should work for a stock inliner

Here's the page with the radiaor installed in an inline car:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZ_Radiator_Kit.html

That looks to be a pretty good deal. They still use a hodge podge of hoses. The complete package for radiator, mounting brackets, and hose kit runs $270 on their website.

• 4 weeks later...