HybridZ

updated pics of my shaved doors/markers

JaysZ

a little upset to find that the right front fender is a bit shorter than the factory 280z fender.. hence the large gap. :(

anyway, i think its lookin good.. its finally coming along. all the panels have been shaved with sheet metal. the car will be sanded down and painted, then the battery tray and driver floor/frame rails will be done and the car will be "finished".

any tips on replacing the weatherstripping? i bought a complete kit. the body shop guys said if i remove the hatch window and windshield, the chrome trim will have to be destroyed in the process. is this true?

DSC01546.gif.xs.jpg

DSC01548.gif.xs.jpg

DSC01548.gif.xs.jpg

DSC01554.gif.xs.jpg

DSC01556.gif.xs.jpg

and another car i dream to own one day...

DSC01555.gif.xs.jpg

As far as the fenders go, i feel your pain, i bought a pair of replacement fenders and the door gap was large than stock, but oh well. And no he is not correct, when I had all my glass pulled, i was able to save all the chrome trim, no damage to it at all. The glass shop that pulled the windows just cut the old weatherstripping around the glass with a razor blade and pushed the window out. The whole chrome strip assembly came out all together and i was able to take it apart.

Not true, you can remove the trim easily , if you are replacing the rubber just take a razor blade and trim the small lip off the rubber seal that holds the trim in on both sides . be careful removing it it may have weatherstrip adhesive holding it in in places, it will bend very easily so take your time and be gentle, polish it up and you can reinstall it in your new window gasket after the window is installed in the car.

thanks guys, i'll let him know that it is possible to remove the weatherstripping around the windows. i want him to pull all the old rubber off anyway to get a cleaner paint job. hopefully i won't unearth anymore more dreaded rust..

oh, and yup thats a '69 camaro i believe... beautiful car. when he got it, the entire backend had been pushed in/up. they are doing a complete restoration of that as well. he does lots of american classics so i feel my car is in good hands =)

you can pretty much remove all the glass and rubber and stainless trim before painting. When I redid my last one, it was down to nothing but the windshield, and I cut the rubber on it around the outside so that when I had it replaced after painting, the new gasket went beyond the paint lines. Will take you about 2-3 hours to detrim and glass it, and well worth it in the end.