HybridZ

Buy a 240z w/ or w/o turbo engine?

J_B

Here's the information. Say you have $3500-4000 dollars and you want a turbo 240z (probably a l28et cuz i read its the easiest swap and I just want about 300hp max). Would you buy a 240z that has already been converted or just buy a 240z and a 280zxt separately? Also....i don't have much machanical experience....so probably have it done by someone else (more $$). The amount of money also includes some restoration (interior, maybe paint, new gauges, etc.) Can this be done?

Well, right now there is a nicely converted 283 Converted V8 car all sorted and ready to drive all summer (owned by adults and driven for years---a sorted conversion) selling for $4000 in SoCal.

This was a topic sometime ago---to buy and convert, or to buy someone else's conversion. Well if it's in your budget.....

This probably isn't waht you wanted to hear, but it does open up another viable option!

It is HybridZ, ya know! LOL

Buy it with the L28ET conversion done and talk to the owner if he sounds diligent and thorugh then you can safely bet that he did a clean installation and not something thrown together with butt and spade connectors but do be careful there are tons of "slap-'em together Joes" out there.

Yasin

-I thought about having a v8 converted car, but really wanted to keep it a inline-6.

- Thats the problem, you won't know for sure if a person did a good swap or just slapped everything together. At least if i get everything and get someone to do it, i would feel more safe w/ the money i spent.

-I found a donor '81 280zxt car (seller says the car is in great condition w/ 190k on engine and everything works) for $300! Good deal? Though I'm trying to find a good 240z as well! THanks for the comments!

Guest bastaad525

well it's usually easier, cheaper and just overall BETTER to buy someone elses car already converted. Doing a swap, even the L28ET swap, is a pain in the ***. The L28ET is the easiest swap though, for sure, but still... this isn't like changing a flat tire. The mechanical part of the turbo swap is relatively easy but getting the wiring all sorted and then dealing with the inevitable electrical gremlins... pain in the ***.

However, in my experience, done or near done L28ET swapped cars are not very commonly sold, not nearly as common as done or partially done V8 cars. I've seen a LOT of V8 cars in the $3000-4000 range. I'm all for wanting to stick with the L6 but when it comes down to it is it really gonna matter what's under the hood when you mash the throttle? If I were shopping I'd put my money on the first nice looking, clean Hybrid Z I found, be it V8 or turbo... but that's me I don't care what I'm driving as long as it's fast. But if you do know of some turbo 240's for sale, go for it.

But yeah, definatley be wary of who you buy from. There are a lot of potential problems with the L28ET swap, and someone who rushed or who didn't really know what they were doing... could have left a lot of little surprises for you.

Doing the conversion yourself will take more time and money, but in the end you'll be that much more certain of what you actualy have.

Yeah, the reason I mention the V-8 car is because I know the owner, and have seen the car myself. It is a cool little setup, lotta neat hotrod tricks like relocated filler neck, custome hood vents, and really a sleeper.

He did not spend a lot of money making a "pretty engine" he made a very dependable daily driver out of it, which speaks volumes of the conversion.

The trick is "getting power out" and on a Chevy V-8 you gotta ride the "short bus" to not figure out how to accomplish that in short order! LOL