HybridZ

Cam break-in question...

I know that when you install a new cam, you need to high idle it at 2500 RPM for 25-30 min to heat treat it. My engine has about 5000 miles on it, so everything else is broken-in and seated. My questions:

1) Can i put in synthetic oil when breaking-in a cam alone? (I know you dont want synthetic when you are breaking-in an entire engine thats brand new)

2) Do i have to drain and replace my oil and oil filter after i break-in my cam?

Just wanna make sure i do it right the first time. If i am forgetting or leaving anything out, please chime in!

Thanks

-Ryan

I know that when you install a new cam' date=' you need to high idle it at 2500 RPM for 25-30 min to heat treat it. My engine has about 5000 miles on it, so everything else is broken-in and seated. My questions:

1) Can i put in synthetic oil when breaking-in a cam alone? (I know you dont want synthetic when you are breaking-in an entire engine thats brand new)

[b'] you CAN use synthetic oil (chevy does in the new corvettes, but keep in mind they use ROLLER CAMS)

but EVERY cam manufacturer suggests you used cam lube and E.O.S.mixed with 10w30 mineral oil during a flat tappet cams break in[/b]

2) Do i have to drain and replace my oil and oil filter after i break-in my cam?

yeah thats MANDATORY if you want to prevent potential problems later, and one reason throwing away synthetic after 3 hour use is crazy, use a good grade mineral base 10w30,or strait 30w oil then throw that away, and add the synthetic and new filter AFTER the cam/lifters seat correctly

read this

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100635&highlight=moly