HybridZ

Well i started finally!

The old inline 6 is history, and im ready to pressure wash, scuff and paint the engine bay. Ill have to make the nessesary changes to the engine compartment as well. I still have a ton of crap to buy, drive shaft, shifter, etc etc. I hope to have it up and running by october. That includes the full drive train ready to roll, body and paint, all new weatherstrip and all new interior. I have alot of work but was fortunate to have found a rust free body to work with. Here are some pics to check out.

260z_014.jpg

260z_016.jpg

260z_015.jpg

260z_012.jpg

260z_013.jpg

I was there not too long ago, but your schedule seems awfully ambitious. I removed the entire front suspension while I was at it, and replaced the tie rods, ball joints, installed all new eurethane bushings, and upgraded brakes. It took a lot of work to clean up the engine bay and get it ready for paint.

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/before.JPG

Here you can see what it looks like after cleaning up, painting and installing an LT1.

http://home.earthlink.net/~570z/images/finishedEngine1.JPG

I still have the interior to finish as well as exterior body and paint, and I doubt if I will be done before October.

My first Hybrid Z went together mechanically, during one football season. My wife is a big fan or I would have been served divorce papers! Supercharged 4.3 V6, No JTR or Hybrid Z site to rely on back then. I'm in the fortunate position of just enjoying the V8 car now for many years with zero maintenance other than gas and oil changes. Promise, it will be worth it. You'll be way ahead with a good body. Good luck and keep us posted.

John

Be sure to check that battery tray area over very thoroughly, it looks like there's quite a bit of rust in there. I had to totally remove that area and replace it and also found a couple small rust holes in the driver footwell while removing the sound/heat insulation on the interior. If you don't deal with it now you'll have to at some later time so do it while the engine is out. What Bartman said is also a good thing to consider while the drive train is removed.

Wheelman

Don't waste time power spraying and scuffing the engine bay. In less then two hours you can have the whole thing stripped to bare metal by using Klean Strip Aircraft Remover. Make sure to buy the gallon can and not the spray can stuff. I used two coats and it was finished. Be sure to use a good vent mask and gloves up to your elbows. Any problems in the enigne compartment will defintely be seen after doing this and primer adheres to bare metal nicely.

• 1 month later...