HybridZ

car wont run right!

well i have done the 2.8 turbo swap in my 71 240z. i had the motor rebuilt, and installed with a five speed trany, and then i had help with most everything else in my garage. i had a temp intake and j pipe on when i first started it. it ran crappy and would not idle, but it made it a fair ways to another guys place to get the exhuat done and intercooler piping done. when i drove it the second time after that was done it sounded real good. still would not idle but it went real good. revved up quick and took off. on the way back (about 5 mins later ) it was not running so good pressed gas and it would not go kinda bagged out. it was over heating some because i didnt have enough antifreeze in it. then i then took another guy out and it ran ok but not as good as the first time. on the way back it died that was a cooler pipe that had fallen off. fixed and off again but still not great. took it home and i verfy nearlly did not make it. when ever i slowed for a stop sign, i could not get it to rev up again.i would wait so i could get the revs up and go again and it would go ok. now its just worse. if i start it bone cold it will have power enogh to get out of the driveway, and down the street, but as i come to the stop sign it dies. i cant get it to rev up anymore i tried some stuff but i had to push it back home twice. any ideas?

i have fuel injection, intercooler, modified gastank, modified computer,bigger injectors, any help would be great

You need to go over everything. Don't be in a rush to go tearing up the streets you will have bugs to work out. List of things to check, leaks on intercooler pipes, timing set with tps closed 20 deg, tps opens just off idle both of these very important, tps must be working. I think the tps is your problem one way or another. Connections at the ecu and afm clean and tight, ZX notorious for this, car runs like crap, pos neg correct on coil, leak between turbo and afm. Hope that helps do some searching under the hood and on this site.

Are they new or used injectors and what are or what car are they for? If your running High impedence injectors with a resistor then that could cause some sort of problem but nothing like what you described, If its low impedence injectors with out the resistors then it could be that they are now fryed. Check by touching the injectors when its running and see if they get hot.

You did say modified computer, right. If its megasquirts, then it could be the something with the crank angle sensor settings for it, but I don't know MS too well. Just throwing some ideas that might help.

well bernard has modified my comuter. i only live 1/2 an hour from him. i got the injectors that he told me to get. well i put in more gas and that got the car running at least, i guess with my modified tank i need lots of gas. car still runs ruf and is over heating too. i changed thermistat and no dif. well tks for help i will keep trying

so the engine is better! my mechanic had the timing chain in the wrong spot and there was a vacume leak at the throttle body. all that fixed. still overheats. i had the same rad before and after the engine swap. could it be the intercooler is blocking the rad too much? any ideas about getting more cooling? i have a electric fan too. would another fan pushing on the intercooler help?

• 2 weeks later...

I plugged the pcv hole and just run a breather filter on the crank case vent and a breather filter on the valve cover as well. I have done that w/ all of my turbo motors thus far with no ill effects.

• 2 months later...
any ideas about getting more cooling? i have a electric fan too. would another fan pushing on the intercooler help?

Do you have a fan shroud? Can be pretty important to shroud the fans on some cars.

You mentioned an electric fan as well.. What fan? Cheap electrics can be just that.. Cheap. You may need to look in to shrouding the fan if it isnt already and perhaps upgrading to a new one. I know Taurus fans seem to be pretty damn good. I have a 5.0HO in my F-150 that I'll be converting to electric before long - and when I do the Taurus fan will most likely be what I go with.

edit,

Has the coolant system been burped? It may be a good idea to go ahead and burp the system. Trapped air has a nasty habit of causing vehicles to run hot.