HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet 240Z LS1 Update

You know those fears you have deep inside you when you shell out $4000 for a used motor that you never heard run and hope it is going to be a good motor?

I have been having those fears for quite some time now.

I don't have to fear any longer.

IT RUNS!!!!!!!

Went to the shop today and they were putting fresh oil in it. They had squirted ATF in the cylinders and let it soak in for a while. I get there and they ask if I want to be the 1st to crank it up. Of course I jump at the chance.

I turn the key and bump it a few tiomes to prime it and then give it a go. Varooomm!

It fires right up. With open headers it is hard to say how well it runs but it idled nicely and after the ATF burned out there was no smoke.

They still have quite a few things to finish up on it but said they are sending it to the exhaust shop on Monday. After that they still need to get the A/C lines. The guy making them is really slow. They need to hook up the Speedo converter box and lots of little stuff.

I should have it back by next weekend.

I can't wait to drive it!

You scared me at first:toetap05: .

Glad to hear it's running and that your close to driving it. I know how thrilled I was to get my beast to start for the first time...and you had to wait much longer than I did.

Congratulations:cheers:

P.S. - Let your son be the first one to ride with you (it may help him get over having the shop finish your father and son project). Better yet (if he's old enough), let him drive it.

RIGHT ON!!! DAVID!

I totally agree with BARTMAN on his P.S.

On your speedo converter... The directions that come with the box are totally confusing (i'm sure the shop will agree). Give them a call and get there tec support. Tha gal I delt with, I think her name was Dana (could be wrong). Told me a very easy way to calibrate the box. Totally different from the directions. Or.... I could dig up my notes and get back to you. What is up with your exhaust?

JOEY

Thanks for the kind words guys. It has been a long time coming. My son will certainly be the 1st to go for the maiden voyage.

Hopefully the speedo box won't be an issue. The guy at the shop has done one before.

Exhaust is going to be 2 1/2" duals to a Y pipe after the trans and then 3' pipe back to an ultaflo muffler. If it is too loud I will install a glasspack in the straight 3" pipe to quiet it down some.

Just a note on the CableX speedo box - be certain all your connections are very clean and firmly soldered - not just twisted together and taped. The unit is subject to intermittent signal loss resulting in a speedo bouncing all over the place if everything isn't solid. I know.:icon52: Great news on the beast coming to life - even if you did tease us about it. You probably had almost as much fun with that as starting the car!

Congrats!!

Just a note on the CableX speedo box - be certain all your connections are very clean and firmly soldered - not just twisted together and taped. The unit is subject to intermittent signal loss resulting in a speedo bouncing all over the place if everything isn't solid. I know.:icon52: Great news on the beast coming to life - even if you did tease us about it. You probably had almost as much fun with that as starting the car!

Congrats!!

The tease is fun. I have been told that I have a warped sense of humor. I just wanted to share the worry I have had for 16 months.

Phantom, All wires will be soldered on the CableX converter.

I posted some more pics in my album if any of you are interested.

Trans crossmember

Subframe Connectors

Fuel Lines

Air Intake system

A/C Compressor

Fans and radiator

etc.

The waiting is killing me now. I want to drive it!

David,

This is great news. I am sure you can sleep better at night now hehe.. When I bought my LS1 I got a chance to hear it ran so I am confidence that my motor is solid. Please let me know when you are ready to sell me the auto tranny. As soon as I get the tranny I will begin putting the motor into my Z. Look like I am not too far behind you and I will have to find time to come down to your place so I can learn all the tricks. Good luck.