HybridZ

Headlight and electrical questions

I posted this in one of my threads about my car in the nontech forum, but it didn't start as a tech problem, so it will probly b more helpfull here

..........damn, i went to work, couldn't get the headlights to work, i got the backup lights to work though-blown fuse. I replaced the blown headlight fuse, but no headlights work.....damn, then it started to POUR-so i was gonna drive home-about 2 miles, and pickup my truck and drive that to my other job-about 10 miles(not driving in the rain w/o headlights). Well it was pouring so bad, that there was a cop at every corner because traffic was just crazy. and i didn't feel like getting pulled in the middle of a storm cuz my lights didn't work, so i just turned onto the highway, started to cutoff on the highway, but it didn't completely shut off till i was on the exit ramp, wich was all backed up. So i gave the car a few "love taps" (hit the dashboard)-a few minuts later it started backup, i traveled the last mile to work and almost shut off again.

Could my hood vents being off cause water to get into the electrical to short out and shut the car off?- all my connections were all secure and it didn't look like anything was frayed. Could the vents b the problem?

And, i know the headlights have a fuse, but do they also have a relay? I have the extra relays lying around if i need them, but wich relay is it-if it even is a relay?

Well, that is why they did add the tray under the driver side vent for a reason. I would assume that the water entering your engine is the cause for the engine studdering. And the headlights don't have any relays at all. All the load is being pulled from the switch. You could add relays to take the load off of the switch. Check your latest Victoria British catologue as they now sell a headlight relay harness to make our lives a bit easier.

I love relays. I'll check Pete P's writeup too. I put my brake lights and rear turn signals on them. No more smoke signals from the dashboard while waiting in turn lanes and the blinkers work every time. I think relays would help the slow wiper problem too but haven't tested for power losses in wiper system yet.

In a 280ZX there is a relay for the headlights. It should be in the relay box up on the passenger side fender on the front of the strut tower.

When looking at the car from the passenger side fender(engine if front of you), the relay will be the one in the upper left hand corner.

Sorry I cant help with the drivablitly issue, Im not too familiar with the original engine.

Guy

well, i havn't figured out the headlight problem yet, i just drove the car home, i had a frend in a 240sx guide the way in the dark. But the shutting off problem is the same one i've been having for a long time, my harness ground wire keeps frying, on the 280zx it hooks up to a bolt on the injector cooling fan-is this a common problem that it just breaks apart-ALOT. How can i fix it, i keep trying thicker wires, but nuthing works

You could add more ground wires to the harness so that all the grounds dont go to the same spot? I had a similar problem with my LT1, all of my grounds were going threw the Lokar throttle cable because that was the only ground I had from the engine to the body. The throttle cable would actually get hot to the touch! Once I put 2 more nice thick ground cables from the engine to the body my problem disappeared!(I had some starting problems too and this fixed it!)

Guy

well, i suppose that is a good solution for the ground, i think i may do that tommorrow, but the relay didn't help the headlights, and they were working just 2 days ago, and then a screwdriver accidently hit the wiring for it, and it shorted out. So im thinking that i may just wire it to the battery with an inline fuse, and ground it with a switch, like a nitrous type switch.