HybridZ

Mazda MX-6 seat and odyssey battery install.

Sparky

So for the longest time I've been searching the yards and car lots for seats that I feel fit the proportions and lines of the early Z interior and exterior. I have seen a multitude of different seats installed in early Zs but very few truly "fit" in the Z car. the Miata seats are nice, but I wanted something different...what I found in my search were the sport seats from a last generation Mazda MX-6. they come in both full power and manual adjustment models and I can assure everyone here that the full power seats will not fit without complete removal of the seat mount cross braces! even with the manual version it will require extensive modification to the seat rails to get it to install properly( like it really matters as most everything is modded to fit..just thought I would let yall know) I looked into adapting the stock adjusters but cam up short as the seat sit WAY to high in the car leaving little room for people over 5'5" with that in mind I've started work on fabricating new seat mounts that will used the stock Z sliders letting seat rest in the position shown in the pictures below.

What does every think? any opinions? am I way off with my feeling that these seats "fit" the car? keep in mind that the seat will be recovered in the next few weeks with black leather in the bolsters and black suede in the center section. double stitching in colour matched thread will be place in the perimeter of the seat. The Sparco seat will most likely stay as the car will see autoXs, multiple track days, and general "spirited" driving.

also attached are the pictures of my PC680 install...opinions are always appreciated and welcomed!

seat6.jpg

seat8.jpg

seat31.jpg

seat21.jpg

seat11.jpg

battery2.jpg

generally shes coming along! I expect to have her on the road very very soon! check my gallery for more updates and additional pictures!

Guest ON3GO

sparky... as always looks great.

on the seat.. it does flow well, but it looks to fat to me.. maybe a C5 corvette seat would look better. those seats flow very well with the lines of the Z, and are damn comfy!

mike

Yeah, I hear you on the "plumpness" issue, I feel it has alot to do with the interior volume of the early Zcar. Its amazing to me that it has much more room than the MX6...but I guess that can be attributed to the fact that the Z is a Hatchback. I took a quick glance at the corvette seats and just wasnt feeling it, I may have to take another look in the next week before I take the seat to my upholsterer. one thing that I do like is the fact that installing four point harnesses is a breeze with this seat, and it sits so nicely in the car so that I can look around while driving and not have to look over or around a really tall seat. This though is from what I remember about driving a Z as I have not driven an early Z car in almost two years :(

you'll have to update me on your Rabbit project Mike, My current GF sold her cabrio and bug some time ago and has recently got the urge to buy a first gen GTi in perfect-modded condition! we've been looking but havent found anything we feel is worthy of our time, and her money. let me know if you find any good parts sources for the first gens. I seem to remember having a VW golf/Rabbit catalog from some company in NC many years ago. It was full of every part you could imagine! they also did alot of 911/944 stuff as well..damn, wish I could remember the name of the company...

In my opinion the late model RX7 seats look better because the headrest is build in but with a cut-out in the middle for the harness. Otherwise they look very similar to that one and they fit nicely in a Z.

Cameron

I hear you, but I've just never been a big fan of built in headrests. availability is also an issue that I've been struggling with. you see, we dont normally find to many last gen RX7s in the local junkyards, and if you do they typically want 300 dollars for a set of seats. well this one cost me 25$ and 175 to recover (i supply the materials.) my finances are a constant factor in my auto related decisions.

Guest ON3GO

sparky.. i have 2 FD rx7 seats in good shape.

if you have some spare parts i need you can have one for the passenger side...

and ill let ya know on my rabbit.. its a pain in the ***!!!

mike

sparky.. i have 2 FD rx7 seats in good shape.

if you have some spare parts i need you can have one for the passenger side...

and ill let ya know on my rabbit.. its a pain in the ***!!!

mike

watchu need Mike, watchu need?!.......

Guest ON3GO
watchu need Mike, watchu need?!.......

watchu got?

remember im more oldschool and ghetto then you! so i like everything and anything.

mike

well.

I still have those 14" oldskools, I think they are cursed :) I have two "appliance" style 14x7s, ummmm an 18PSI wastegate actuator

series one hatch glass with the vertical strips.

....most of the odd bits I did have ended up on ebay, but if you have a specific request I can probably hook you up yo!

• 5 weeks later...