HybridZ

What I've been up to lately

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just so you guys know, I haven't blown off HybridZ I've just been busy working on the car.

Notables:

Body (PICS)-Paint my mirrors to match the car, sorta.

Removed front marker lights and Parking lot bump strips (realized the paint doesn't match exactly, and basically I suck at body work)

Added Gurney Flap to rear spoiler (don't know if it helps yet but it looks fast!)

Structure (PICS)- Added new strut tower braces front and back.

Engine (SOME PICS)- New return style fuel regulator and 3/8" return line (it just made sense to relieve the fuel pump of extra work)

Moved the fuel filter to the back of the car (I think having in the engine compartment just heats-up the fuel)

New Holley fuel pump (the carter died, maybe because it was working too hard?)

Had a pro tuck-up my exhaust and add a longer 24" race bullet, after mashing my original 16"er, using my original mandrel bends and all (there was no way I was going to try and weld lying on my back again!)

Added a heat shield between my exhaust and slave cylinder (the first one basically had anything rubber in it melt)

HPDE Events (PICS)- LOVE IT!!!

PICS ARE HERE

Things yet to do- Buy wheels and tires.

Order adjustable T/C rods from Mike Kelly.

Order bigger brakes from Mike Gibson.

Order ZG Flares. Thanks for posting the pics J. Coffey (I have some vintage 70's flares for sale! Around 2.5" front and 3.5" rear full panel type)

Take out the bondo bumps and repaint.

That's it for now.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

I see that you did not set up your front strut tower braces in a triangle with both braces coming from the strut towers to a single point in the middle of the firewall. I also mounted my front braces to the firewall smilar to your mounts which I believe should be stronger than the single point mount in the middle of the firewall. Nice improvements :rolleyes:2thumbs.gif

Jon, you wild man. I was sure you had just blown us off! In fact, I've been going around telling everyone,"That Jon, he's just blown us off". frown.gif

Just kidding. :D Hey glad to hear from ya. And you've made a lot of new mods to that FoMoJap. 2thumbs.gif

I love your strut braces. What did all that cost you? You have to help me with mine If I ever get my car back.

Are those new valve covers too?

Hey, I know it's late notice, but a friend and I may be taking a little local hybrid tour tomorrow. Are you interrested? If so, e-mail me tonight.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the comps guys.

Toma, I'm not sure if the strut bars are necessarily the strongest way to go especially if you reinforce the center of the firewall. But with that said, I think where our braces are mounted is strong enough to do a good job. It feels pretty stiff and stout to me and makes me happy and the Z's happy to have them :D Plus they clear my air box. The front brace is mounted where it is so it clears my disti. :rolleyes: though the mounting plates could've been located more towards the center of the towers rather than the front, and yeah, yeah, double shear and all that. twak.gif

Doug the only reinforcement behind the mounts are large thick washers. I could've made some thick strips that had a hump built into the middle of them to clear the support and sandwich the firewall, but I didn't think I needed them. Maybe someday...and maybe someday they'll have a cage to mount too...really.

Hey Jaime my wife found a z at L&M wreakers in Bay Point the next day! I should've grabbed the cowl too but I was instructed to "JUST BRING HOME THE PARTS YOU NEED TO FIX THE CAR." bonk.gif

The rollbar is made by Autopower and you can get one from MSA.

Dan, nice catching-up with you today. Your z is gonna be beautiful when it's done 2thumbs.gif And you own a helmet right? (a snell approved one not an NFL approved one! :D )

Jon

Man, you just keep improving the car and then blowing my mind! I like the 'improvements' and the work, I'm sure, is really top notch. Leonard and I were having coffee the other day in the Avenues (SF by the beach) and we were discussing the refined nature of your Z, how everything just flows together really well--and drives that way too! I do apprecciate the chance to drive your car; an experience I will not forget! 2thumbs.gif

Davy