HybridZ

Need Help finding something

I am a highschool student so i cannot afford new, expensive engines. and am interested in swapping a small block chevy engine into my z-car. I live in Central IL and am looking for a place to buy a fairly reasonable priced small block or an ls1 engine. Would anyone know where I could obtain one for a good price?

Well if your on a budget then an LS1 set up is deffinetly out of the question. Just to get an LS1/4L60e tranny to your door is going to cost about $3000(probably more). So LS1 is out of the question.

Just find a salvage yard and go on a day that they are having a special on engines. You can probably pick up a 350/700R4 combo for $500 or less. You just have to look for the deals and dont get too anxious to buy stuff. Thats what gets a lot of guys, even though their car wont be on the road for months on end they feel the need to buy everything now and end up paying too much! I know I have done it more than once! I dont really have a budget though, I just buy as I need! :-)

Guy

Hopefully you are asking which SBC to use... the 350 is the most abundent and cheapest to work with. More parts, cheaper parts. Good size etc. Now that said, if you happen across a 400 grab it if you can. Still uses the same parts as a 350. It's gotten to be a rare engine so it's kind of unlikely you would find one.

Heck.. sometimes you can find an even better deal, if you're willing/able to do a motor pull yourself. IE; find a whole car/truck with a 350/700r4 dirt cheep. I'm building a V8 RX7 right now, and found an older Caprice (ex cop car) with a good 350 and 4 speed, but the body has had it and the rear shocks had ripped off the frame. :) $160 for the car, and 2 days of my time. Now I have my drivetrain.

It may be a toss up as to which small block chevy is the most abundant. There are at least a bizzilion 305's out there. They have been built since the early 70's. The most popular tho is definitly the 350. The 305's can be bought for less money because of popularity. I don't understand why. They are every bit as good and piece for piece they will perform just as well as a 350. I've built several 305's and have never been disappointed with their performance. If brut horsepower is not your ultimate goal then the 305 is a very worthy engine. Remember, 600 HP and 500 lbs/ft of torque is only as good as your ability to make it work. A 250-300 HP engine in a Z car is a great street car. Very driveable on a daily basis and easy on the drive train and easy to maintain and just plain fun to drive. After all, driving the car is what it's all about.

Well, I might have found an engine on craigslist,

http://chicago.craigslist.org/pts/79418724.html I'll probably email him next week when I get my paycheck, it really sucks getting $7 an hour...

I also found this...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/pts/80604292.html

being fairly new to cars, and knowing almost nothing would a tranny like that be able to support a small block? Does that seem like a good deal?

Ahh.. pieceing it together are you? :lol: Again, IMHO, you'd be further ahead to find a runing driving 'donor' car, something cheep, (under $500 say) but you get evrything you need, and you can be sure that it works (cause it did in the donor car) Either way you go, good luck man. :)

I was thinking if I did it over, I'd get a 89ish camaro with a t5, convert it over to carburation, get it running right, and then pull it and put it in my z. I bought a rebuilt long block 350 and a rebuilt WC t5. That alone cost 2 grand. Let alone the starter, water pump, alternator, ect. and beleive me it adds up.