HybridZ

Cylinder head temps high?

280zedx

what kind of temp readings are people running, and how hot is too hot? With megasquirt the reading is labeled "coolant" but is actually from the cylinder head temp sensor. Since i have black painted all my engine parts, and changed my fan setup to 2-10" spal fans (1360cfm total output) i'm worried about engine heat.

I'm running above 200F and when i go under boost it hits 215F (and possibly a bit higher since the scale ends at 215)

Can i change the scale to see exactly how hot i am hitting?

My intake temps are usually between 90-110, and i can't tell what my coolant is exactly at since it's the digital "bars".

I've checked my sensor with a digital probe and it is almost dead on. I'm thinking i need a higher cfm fan setup.

How hot are other boost applications hitting?

Guest 73Turbo240z
what kind of temp readings are people running' date=' and how hot is too hot? With megasquirt the reading is labeled "coolant" but is actually from the cylinder head temp sensor. Since i have black painted all my engine parts, and changed my fan setup to 2-10" spal fans (1360cfm total output) i'm worried about engine heat.

I'm running above 200F and when i go under boost it hits 215F (and possibly a bit higher since the scale ends at 215)

Can i change the scale to see exactly how hot i am hitting?

My intake temps are usually between 90-110, and i can't tell what my coolant is exactly at since it's the digital "bars".

I've checked my sensor with a digital probe and it is almost dead on. I'm thinking i need a higher cfm fan setup.

How hot are other boost applications hitting?[/quote']

whens the last time you flushed the coolant system? and what radiator are you running... is the core shrouded to the fans, etc...

I run a 160 degree thermostat, and at idle am lucky to hit that during any time but the heat of summer!!!

During running around I will get up above 170, and underboost maybe 190 to 200 but rarely above that. With a four-core radiator, what can you expect?

If I'm not driving it, it will not get above 159 degrees!

Curiously I found the CHT reading about 10 degrees higher than the one in the thermostat housing. I suppose that is why Nissan moved it!

Stock Clutch Fan and Shroud from 78 280Z

putting in a higher rated thermostate can help with keepiing the car cooler.... i know that sounds crazy but rv"ers do it all the time.... the reason is that once the tremostat opens all the way it can not regulate the flow through the radiator, hence hot coolent does not have enough time to cool in the cores. i did a 195 on my z with a cam and headers and never cross the half way point on my temp gauge again... i denied this for a year before triing and now iam convinced and it cheap!

My radiator and thermostat are stock new, the fans aren't shrouded, a 70% water mix, a bottle of water wetter. Damn it gets hot! The header adds a bit along with the spoiler restriction and all that black paint and the intercooler is poor but still not bad.

A higher pressure rad cap and a killer high cfm fan gotta help if anything. I don't want to run it hard (or at all, i'm worried about the roasting i've been giving my engine while trying to tune it!) until this is fixed. The heat numbers everyone is getting are what i feared...something's wrong!arggghh.