HybridZ

Gaining Ground Clearance

My LS1 240Z is very low. It was set up by the PO with MSA camber plates, coil overs w/ eibach springs and tokiko 5 ways and ST sway bars.

The front crossmember sits about 3" off the ground and the oil pan is 3/4" below that. I need to raise it up a bit.

I am going to switch to 16" wheels and that should get me almost one inch

(I have 14's now) but I was looking at the car on the lift and the adjustable lower spring perch is almost all the way at the top of the 4" threaded collar of the coilover. This leaves no room for adjustment.

It seems that when the did the coilover conversion, they welded a stop on the strut tube and it was placed too low.

I was wondering if there were any measurements out there that could help place the threaded collar in the proper location.

I am planning to unscrew the lower perch down about 2 1/2" and then lift up the threaded collar about 1 1/2" and use 2 muffler clamps with bolts as a temporary way to find the best location for the new lower strut stops that the threaded collar will sit on.

Any better ideas

David,

Going to 16" wheels won't help as much as you would like. Your maximum tire diameter is limited by the fenderwells - especially in the front when turning. About the largest diameter tire you can get on the car would be a 215/55-16. That's about an inch in diameter larger than stock so it would only raise the car about 1/2". You'll get a lot more lift adjusting the spring perches.

I would think you would want the car at least 2" higher than it is now?