HybridZ

General Tranny Question

EvilRufusKay

If a manual 5 speed trans has trouble going into first and third is it normally a syncro gear issue? My wife's jetta is exhibiting this (shortly after I did the timing belt... I know they are not related ...its just my luck...)

I have little to zero expierience working on a trans except for swapping convertors or entire units. It pops into gear if I keep pressure on the stick and let up on the clutch...seems strange but I also seem to remember someone talking about it previously...(currently searching...)

Thanks guys...

How much wear (milage) is on that VW? I've seen lots of VW's well over 400k and still running the original gear box....They seam to get 'notchy' with milage from what I've seen though. Could be just slop/wear in the shift linkage bars/bushings.

My 240sx 5 gear (in the 280z) does the same in first and reverse. Hard to get in, sometimes I have to drag the clutch out slightly and then it pops in. Sometimes, it's no trouble at all. I know my trans has about 260k on it, and the shifter is a little sloppy, and I assume it's just worn (not allowing it to push the shift rod quite enough) I'd have a look at the linkages and whatnot, if you can get to them, and the shifter itself before worying about a trans re-build..