HybridZ

A Track Theory.............

Was curious about the 300zx Hub,

Ill give an example,

We have,

Car A, (300zx)

Car B (240z/260z/280z)

Car C (car with wheels that have a 33+ offset)

We Use the front hubs off car A and bolt them to Car B,

Using these different hubs from car A onto Car B, changes the front track on car B and pushes it out say 3/4" (18mm), these front hubs widen car B's track by 3/4" (18mm),

Now,

Lets say you then go out and get a wheel from car C, which has a larger positive offset than car B's wheels, say 3/4" (18mm) larger positive offset (Car B = 15+ & Car C = 33+), then you put the wheels from car C onto car B,

Would this not mean,

That you have increased the front track of car B by using the front hubs off car A, the increase being 18mm,

Then,

By using the wheels from car C, with the larger positive (18mm larger)then car B's wheels, that you have infact managed to get the front track back to its original point???

Sorry this sounds like a yr8 math question icon_smile.gif

This issue actually confused enough people so that Ross, and then Jamie T. started making their own aluminum hubs that are of the original configuration as the 240 offset.

The link you posted in the question about "thinking Big" I believe has pics of the Hub I bought from Jamie. Although 5 lug, it has the 240Z hub depth.

Mike

Cool Bananas, thanks Johnc,

Mike, Its just the 300zx hubs are alot cheaper basically, and by the time i ship Ross's hubs over to OZ they are about $800AUD or so, and my engineer said he was a little bit unsure he would pass over allumium hubs, he said he would prefer they were billet steel, which i can get made in OZ for about $600/pair

Oh I understand the issues over shipping them. And I've had two sets of 300ZX hubs that worked just fine. Once you get the proper backspacing for that hub configuration, you're good to go!

Cheers!

Mike :cool:

I was having a search around for some s31 300zx hubs here. The wreckers are asking around $250 Nzd each side. Aparently the also bolt onto the early skylines and cefieros that all the little boys are drifting. That could be another source for them. I was going through all of this to try to get some newer late model mags. In the end it was going to be to expensive and I have found a place that will do some 17 x 9's that will fit for a pretty good price so I didnt persue the idea.

Douglas

Yeah, getting that theory from my head to paper took a few goes aswell :-)

Its a pretty cool way around the large increase in track that the 300zx hubs cause though,

And there are lots of places that flog off 5-lug rims with a 25+ offset, i know its not exactly the 33+ (to get it back to factory), but by using a 25+ offset with the 300zx hubs on an 1970-78 Zed, you are effectively increasing the track 16mm (8mm/side), which from all ive been told aint such a bad thing at all,

There are lots of places that flog of 5-lug 25+ wheels, more than 4-lug 15+ offsets anyways :-)