HybridZ

My L28et swap page

zero

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope had a couple quarts lying around the house from painting railings, put it in my spray gun and went at it.

On the turbo swap front, i found out i lied, there is also one other connector that is unknown, it is an 8 prong plug with only 5 wires going into it, it comes out of the main harness at about the same point as the other unknown 8 prong, on the interior side of the firewall. just to let you guys know. I think i will post this particular problem in the ignition and electrical section as a question.

Allright for the connector by the fi relay...

http://photobucket.com/albums/a5/blue9kaero/?action=view&current=6pincon2.jpg

Green wire- goes to fuel pump relay and has a wire splice going to the pump

Blue red stripe- goes to fuel pump relay

white and yellow wires are not used, according to all my research

black with white strip is my only wire in question i believe it also goes to the fuel pump relay but not sure???? need some help on that!

So far thats all my research on the 6 pin connector

On to the 8 pin connector

From what Ive gathered,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a5/blue9kaero/?action=view&current=8pincon.jpg

Green w/ blue stripe--ground

Yellow, directly to the right of the green w/ blue in my pic-- goes to Z's ign harness

yellow w/ white, right off the yellow wire above-- goes to the blue wire under the dash of the Z, drivers side, which goes to the ballast resistor.

Use at your own risk.. This info is from research Ive gathered on the site while planning my swap.

Most of which from Dave, cygnusx1 on here, don't know him but his diagram is a good start for wiring going into a Z.

heres his starter diagram...

http://photobucket.com/albums/a5/blue9kaero/?action=view&current=TurboZ-WiringDiagram-DRAFT-1.jpg

hope that helps atleast a little bit. Thats going into a fuel injected Z, but it may give you a start.

thanks for the help, though a good bit of that doesnt really apply as i dont have the ignition harness like a 280z does, I'm quite stumped and think im gonna order megasquirt, but i would still like to get it running as i havent driven my car in two months, and dont want to wait another one.

Yeah I was figuring that would be the case. Although from that you can tell where the wires go, one to the ballast resistor, one ground, and Im sure the other is a signal from the ignition switch to make it all work. You may want to try pm'ing someone who has done the swap with the same year setups.

I am just loosing my mind now. I really just want this car to run, I would like to make it to for the z convention in NY in august. I can't seem to get it to run with the stock set up, and I'm not sure if I could get a megasquirt n spark extra set up assembled and running in time, not to mention that some of the stuff surrounding megasquirt seems pretty confusing too. This is officially a call for help, i am getting frustrated to the point of making stupid mistakes now and would like some help.

Zero.. me and Mobythevan (Bryan) got the puppy up and wired and running in the first try in 1 day!!

buy a pre-assembled MegaSquirt unit from http://www.DIYautotune.com and the harness if you can afford it.. and swap it in.. using Moby's settings.. and it will fire up right away!

You can do it MAX in 3 days.. 1 day if you have a buddy

what other parts will i need to have it control ignition, so far i only know of the gm hei module. that means im looking at...

Assembled megasquirt

wiring harness

water temp sensor

intake air sensor

gm hei

am i missing anything

In order to run MegaSquirt I got rid of my mechanical distributer on my

280Z and bought an 82-83 280ZX turbo distributer, because it has a BUILT in

CAS (crank angle sensor). Basically it has only 4 wires to hook up to

MegaSquirt, and the MegaSquirt unit completly controlls the fuel in the car

AND the spark timing!!!

In order to install a 82-83 280ZX turbo distributer, you will need the

dizzy, and the oil shaft! Basically the dizzy rotates and spins with the

oil shaft, and the N/A shaft has a smaller output and will not fit the ZX

turbo dizzy. In order to install this 82-83 distributer i simply removed the

old distributer, and removed 4 bolts off of the oil pump. The pump drops

right down, and the oil shaft will literally fall out! Then push up the new

one (be careful to put it in the same way as the old one to keep the timing

correct) and bolt on the new dizzy!

As for new sensors, on an older Z engine you will need 2 things...

the Air Intake Sensor, and the Coolant Temperature Sensor.

The MegaSquirt manual asks for the following:

-------------------------

Turbocharged or supercharged engines should use an open-element air

temperature sensor for a faster response time. Here are some reported part

number equivalents for both the coolant and air temperature sensors

GM #25036751

Standard AX1

GP SORENSEN 779-19001

AC DELCO 213-190

NIEHOFF IGNITION TS83631 was DR-136W

WELLS SU107

MSD 2320 (includes connector)

-----------------------

Autozone should have the wells part number. So all you need is one open

element sensor for the air temperature, and the coolant sensor should be

closed. (basically a brass cover over the sensor)

Check out my CarDomain website and see my pictures on page 13, for some

pics of the coolant temperature sensor and how I bolted it on, and the

intake sensor on the intercooler piping.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/330795/13

The coolant sensor is actually hiding in one of those pics.. but it's right

under the upper radiator hose, threaded into the brass fitting which I all

got from Home Depot! and I used all of those fittings in a spare port in the

thermostat housing, which was plugged up with a bolt. So it was very easy to

install!

Ohh yeh.. and with MegaSquirt you DO NOT need a Adjustable Fuel Pressure

regulator OR rising rate fuel pressure regulator!!

So you can either spend your hard earned money on an AFPR or RRFPR or use

the same amount of cash, and buy MegaSquirt which allows you to tune and

control nearly every aspect of your car!

BTW the MegaSquirt unit is built to handle 22psi!

I needed the coolant temp sensor in addition to the stock sensor. In the

turbo engine's, the CHT is mounted along the side of the block inbetween i

think Cylinder 5 and 6. You can use that sensor, from the turbo block or go out and spend $8 on a new CHT just in case your sensor is faulty.

As for the stock ECU, I actually kept ALL of the stock wiring in the car,

and I simply spliced into the original harness. I have an Factory Service

Manual and wiring diagram so it was easy to find which wires were what.

I did put the old ECU in my basement, but I could probably still have it in

the car, but it would be useless.

The reason I couldn't mount the MS controller in the stock kickpanel

location is because I have the relay board attached to the MS unit, and it

was too long to fit into the stock location.

Someday I plan on moving it, but that might be a while.. the wiring is a

mess right now.. LoL

Ok.. yeh.. that was alot of typing.. and probably wasn't organized well.. but that's ALL you should need.. and the GM HEI.. =)

MegaSquirt

Relay board if you choose to make life easy

GM HEI

Water/Coolant temp sensor

Air intake temp sensor

Wiring

just out of curiosity, what does the relay board do in reference to the megasquirt, and how does it make life easier. I already have the 83 turbo dizzy so this should be relatively simple, I think im gonna order the stuff today. Thanks alot guys

something just occured to me, do i really need the harness and the relay board, doesnt the relay board plug into the db37 terminal of the megasquirt, making the wiring harness kinda useless? I already ordered both but I can always change it as I am paying by money order.

started preping the engine for megasquirt, just a quick question. Which of these things is the stock popoff valve which I will be using for a while. Also, is it alright to get rid of the rest of this stuff and block it off until i get an earlier intake.

544529_179_full.jpg

after doing some reading i have a couple more questions. Since I will be using stock injectors for now, I think I will have to use dropping resistors for the injectors, which ones and where would i put them inline to the injectors, and would i be able to get them from radioshack or should I order them online.

Also I see most everyone has switched to either the 240sx throttle or just the tps from that car, is this necessary to connect to megasquirt.

are there any other little niggling little things I should pick up in the megasquirt n spark install guide I saw something about pullup/ pull down resistors, which should I get and again, where should I get them.

You will need to run the 240SX throttle body or TPS..

The stock 280Z and 280ZX throttle bodies have a TVS or simply an on/off switch for full throttle, cruising, or idle...

MegaSquirt needs a potentiometer type TPS which tells the computer if the throttle body is 50% open or 63% open etc to help control the fuel flow!

As for the dropping resistors.. here is a direct quote from MobytheVan's MegaSquirt HOW TO / INSTALL GUIDE!

First thing I did was remove the AFM, stock ECU and the 83 turbo wiring harness. I just had the EFI wiring harness from the 83 turbo car, some people rewire their whole car for the turbo swap so this part is open to interpretation. I bought six 6ohm 25watt resistors for $6 and made my own dropping resistor pack to use with the low impedance stock injectors. The MS manual explains how to use pulse width modulation (PWM) or dropping resistors. I also built the MS relay board which is very nice because it gives me a relay for power to the MSnS computer and a relay for the fuel pump. It also has a relay for FIDLE, but that is no longer used with MSnS.

In Fact... ZERO have you had a chance to look over Moby's installation guide?!

I would highly highly suggest reading it over to get an idea of everything and HOW to install everything! http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=88246