HybridZ

My L28et swap page

zero

As I know I will be needing help often enough and like to share my progress, I decided to start a thread somewhat documenting my l28et swap into a 72 240. So far I have removed both engines and transmissions from the cars and am preparing to swap the trannies and install the engine in my z. All has gone fairly smoothly as of yet, with the exception of some stubbornness on the part of the 280zx exhaust. I know the wiring is where I will be defeated.

Part of the problem is the zx I bought was not an orinal zx-t, it was a zx that had an engine die and the previous owner tried to do the swap, he attempted to replace the entire harness for the whole car, and failed. Both zx's were 1983 models. So now I have a whole bunch of wires, and will definately need help identifying some of them, especially things ignition related. I wouldnt have bought the car like this except for the fact that it was 300 bux, and close. Anyway, here are the pics so far.

544529_152_full.jpg

544529_153_full.jpg

544529_154_full.jpg

544529_155_full.jpg

544529_156_full.jpg

544529_157_full.jpg

544529_158_full.jpg

544529_159_full.jpg

544529_160_full.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to go megasquirt and I probably will eventually, but I really need to have the car driveable pretty soon. Even if I did get it I would have to tune it at Joe's (Ragz260) house as I dont have laptop, or a pc for that matter. So I need to at least get it limping along for now.

All I've got say so far is that I think you actually have more crap in your garage than I do. Amazing! Any you might want to knock some of the stuff aside so you will be able to work on your ride in the less than perfect weather that is bound to come up before you get done. Not trying to flame you just offer a small peice of advise that I learned the hard way.

Good luck and looks food so far.

Whoa, since when can you tune megasquirt on a pda. That is quite awesome, and i think that will be changing my plans. If I can hook that up sometime soon then I will do that. How much is a complete megasquirt set up with larger injectors ballpark?

well the zx is rotted to the point of being scary to jack up from anywhere but the suspension. I'm probably going to strip it and part it out. I'm gonna do some research and see if I can afford megasquirt, if I can then I will do that. What, other than the computer itself, would I need to get the car running with a megasquirt setup.

Allright, i got the engine in the car and did a good bit of the wiring. Now I am left with two plugs that i don't know what to do with but i am positive control power to the computer and ignition. One of them is an eight prong plug and the other is a four prong. the four prong is close to and connected to the fusible links and the eight prong is on the dash side of the harness. what would help me the most would be if someone could tell me which wires in each connector are necessary and where they need to go. keep in mind that i will be operating my fuel pump manually by switch( anti theft type feature) and the switched power to the computer and ignition will be a toggle switch instead of the ignition key. If someone could guide me that would be great, I have pictures of the plugs in question in this post

544529_167_full.jpg

544529_168_full.jpg

544529_169_full.jpg

544529_170_full.jpg

544529_171_full.jpg

544529_172_full.jpg

544529_173_full.jpg

544529_174_full.jpg

544529_175_full.jpg

I just finished my swap - 81zxt into my 76 280z my wiring harness wasn't hacked up like yours, but the wiring was really really simple.

I don't recognize the 8 pin plug you're showing so I'm pretty sure it's not used. The other looks like it might be the plug which is close to the fuel injection relay - about 4-5 inches down the harness. That plug has your fuel pump relay trigger (LR - blue is L) and ignition signal (BW).

If I were you, I'd take the fuel injection harness out of the car and lay it out. The only part of that harness you need to cut out is by the fusible links. You'll have to cut out the coil wires/harness out of the ZX's chassis harness or just wire it yourself.

Check out the "Quick FI and ignition 280zx s30" stick for picture of most of the plugs and what to cut. Between that guide and fl327's post at the bottom of the turbo beginner's sticky you should have all the info you need.

Here's a little info for Metro and zero. I'm currently doing the wiring on my 76 280Z for the 82 280ZXT harness I got and looking at the guide I quickly got frustrated because nothign was adding up. but fyi the quick turbo swap write up metro mentioned is based off of a 81 ZXT harness which is slightly different from the 82-83. There is indeed a 8 pin connector under the dash that I supposedly that splices into the ignition somewhere, I think it connects to the ignitor and some other stuff. In the 81 harness this is the 6 pin connector metro is talking about. The first picture that is what this picture is 544529_170_full.jpg

now the 4 prong is what stumps me. I have a 6 prong connector in the engine bay by the FI relay. And it supposedly has 3 wires that are in the the guide, the green wire goes to a constant 12V so I just connected it to the positive terminal and then 2 more go to a switched 12V source but I don't know where I can splice it into O_o' anyone have a wire I can tap into near the battery in the engine bay? (when it comes to wiring I'm not very good >.<)

quoting from the guide

-Green - Constant power (Needs to be run to a 12+ volt constant)

-Black with white strip - Switched power (Needs to be run to a 12+ volt switched power)

-Blue with red stripe - is switched power for your fuel pump relay (has 12+ volts when key is on, will have power for 5 seconds if car is not running to prime the fuel system, and will have a constant 12+ volts when car is running.)

The yellow and white wires you see bent off to the side you will not need and wont be using

now I don't know if this is right though because I have a 6 prong which the 81 apparently has also according to the guide because I have the two white and yellow wires it sez to discard but you only have the yellow. But if the guide is correct you only need 3 of the 4 wires to be used. Now for where the 12V switched wires tap to I'd like to know myself anyone?

544529_175_full.jpg

I'm going to take another crack at it tommorow so I'll report my findings. You should really start routing the harness through the engine bay and hooking stuff up. That's how mine is right now and I've only got the 2 connectors to worry about now. Of course your doing a non efi car so you'll need to drill a hole or something in your firewall to cram it all in there. Good luck.

Guest bastaad525

Man I LOVE that satin black... I want to change my car to that black SO bad... I'm just being lazy... the Earl Sheibb navy blue paint is still holding up very well even though it's been almost 2 years now... no oxidization or anything like that. But I MISS that flat black look... Z's just look SWEET in that color.

i know mine doesn't run well, but it does run.

I used a 83 donor and recognize the 8 pin by the ecu end of the harness, but i have a 6 prong over by the FI relay. I'm at work so i don't have my notes as to which wires i used from which plugs.

As far as the four prong plug, I agree with you all that it is equivilent to the six prong in everyone elses car. If you look at the picture of the diagram that i posted, there is a six prong plug with one unused, well four of those wires match up and are in order, the last one is a white and i have a free white wire hanging around near by you can actually see it chillin in that photo lower down, so im guessing that is what that is. I will connect the green, black/w and blue/red as described. I had already connected the black/w and green and heard the ecu relay switch on so i think im in business there. Now i just need to know where the wires from the 8 prong connector need to go, as i am most definately getting no spark at all.

Oh and to answer a few questions that i saw, my garage is really messy because my dad and I painted the porch a couple of days prior to my starting this so all the junk from there had to go in the garage, my garage is too dark to do any real work anyway.

I will start routing the wiring through the dash when i get the thing running, its easier for me to chase down problems when ive got everything out in front of me. I mean i only have one plug left to diagnose so it should be too bad.

I love my satin black, though it has a few odd annoying things about it. It is very very very hot in the summer, moreso than normal black. Im talking 113 crusing at street speeds with the windows down. Mine in particular is very impossible to wash, as it is very rough to the touch, and tears up rags and cloths leaving annoying little hairs on the car. On the bright side it takes alot for it to look dirty, and its very different and mean.