HybridZ

Ms'n Edis?

dragoontwo

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

I just fired up my MSnS-EDIS controlled N/A L-28 race car last weekend. My impression so far is I will NEVER go back to distributors again!!! DIS compared to Dizzy ignitions systems is like EFI compared to Carbs. It could be argued that there is no noticeable performance gain with today’s high tech computerized engine management, but the ability to tune at pin point MAP and RPM bins without affecting the rest of the fuel or spark curve is something that can NOT be done with carbs or mechanical and vacuum advances in a dizzy. Also, when you make changes to the fuel curve or ignition curve with EFI and DIS, your hands don’t smell like GAS all night or end up covered in Grease AND, you can make the adjustments REAL time on the fly, Not have to get out and take a dizzy or carb apart to make adjustments.

Ok, in my not so humble opinion, those are the BIG reasons why I prefer EDIS over dizzy ignition.

Good luck,

Details and pics of our MSnS-EDIS project can be seen at these links…

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=15436

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103781

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=14920

The only reason I can think of is if you go with something other than a 36-1 wheel, or want to go COP (either wasted spark or sequential).

I am going to use either 6 or 12 magnets on the back of my dampner for a 6-1 or 12-1 setup and a hall sensor, using 6 GSXR600 COP coils (good to 14K rpm, so my piddling 6.5k should be fine) in a wasted spark setup.

Just 5 more VB 921's in the MS v3 Case and I'm gonna be set.

The only reason I can think of is if you go with something other than a 36-1 wheel, or want to go COP (either wasted spark or sequential), oe want to limit rpms via spark control.

I am going to use either 6 or 12 magnets on the back of my dampner for a 6-1 or 12-1 setup and a hall sensor, using 6 GSXR600 COP coils (good to 14K rpm, so my piddling 6.5k should be fine) in a wasted spark setup.

Just a couple more VB 921's in the MS v3 Case and I'm gonna be set.

well what about HEI using the stock turbo dizzy versus the EDIS??

Still uses the dizzy but you can still fine tune the RPM and MAP points... BRAAP .. and is very cheap and is still just as effective.. obviously the EDIS allows wasted spark, and coil packs.. but thats about it as far as i can think of

care to add any more details?

• Administrators
well what about HEI using the stock turbo dizzy versus the EDIS??

Still uses the dizzy but you can still fine tune the RPM and MAP points... BRAAP .. and is very cheap and is still just as effective.. obviously the EDIS allows wasted spark' date=' and coil packs.. but thats about it as far as i can think of

care to add any more details?[/quote']

Yes, you are correct. A dizzy can have pin-point control over timing using a distributor. I would also agree that is definitely an improvement in ignition control over the mechanical and vacuum advance dizzy, good point.

Now for some other advantages that DIS has over distributors that I did not point out are as follows. Being that DIS utilizes an actual crank trigger, there is NO spark scatter induced from the slop in the gears that drive the distributor quill shaft as well as the slop between the quill shaft and the distributor itself. Not too mention any pulsations from the oil pump being transmitted up though the quill shaft. Another advantage of DIS over a distributor is with DIS, you are also eliminating that extra gap that exists between the rotor and cap that the spark has to jump AND, no more cap and rotor to replace over time due to worn cap terminals which leads to deteriorated ignition performance. That is bad thing for highly boosted engines. Oh, and what Pete said about the advance curve that DIS offers that a distributor doesn’t.

• 1 month later...
Being that DIS utilizes an actual crank trigger, there is NO spark scatter induced from the slop in the gears that drive the distributor quill shaft as well as the slop between the quill shaft and the distributor itself. Not too mention any pulsations from the oil pump being transmitted up though the quill shaft. Another advantage of DIS over a distributor is with DIS, you are also eliminating that extra gap that exists between the rotor and cap that the spark has to jump AND, no more cap and rotor to replace over time due to worn cap terminals which leads to deteriorated ignition performance. That is bad thing for highly boosted engines.

Even worse, and from personal experience: The gear on the distributor drive spindle can SPIN! It is NOT pinned to the quill shaft, and a backfire can cause enough harmonics to change your timing 7 degrees, or 187 degrees (ask me how I know this!).

The added advantage of havin a coil in an ideal situation with less than 6" of spark plug wire leading to it means FAR LESS SPARK LOSS. Sure, you can talk about distributor gap, but what that all leads up to is less energy to fire the plug under boost.

As for the "50 Degree" limit of a distributor, just for those that aren't making the connection, with 6 cylinders firing 60 degrees apart, if you advance your timing 50 degrees, chances are GREAT using a distributor you end up firing the cylinder INFRONT of the cylinder you intend to fire in the firing sequence. 153624 remember? In EDIS, or coil on plug that is ALWAYS the firing order you will have. Using a 280ZXT CAS with improper phasing, or even with 45 degrees advance you can skip time one terminal and go to 153324! (ask me how I know this, or read Moby's sticky on my 81CAS conversion to find out that once it jumps, it doesn't jump back!)

Short of coil-on-plug, EDIS is probably the most powerful spark you can give your engine in regards to usless parasitic losses of spark energy.