HybridZ

What to do???

Guest nitroexpress65

Guest nitroexpress65

I just purchased a 78 280 for $300 w/ no engine or tranny. Every thing else is perfect. I need some advice on which engine tranny to use. I want a stick and 8 cyls intrigue the heck out of me in this car. Had a 260 many moons ago and am looking to blow the doors off some of the little fast and furious kiddies in the neighborhood.

Guest nitroexpress65

I would like to seewhat i could do for 3-5k. i work in the auto rv industry so i get parts and labor at cost, which is 25-35% less than what guys pay over the counter.

...am looking to blow the doors off some of the little fast and furious kiddies in the neighborhood.

So are many of us...heheh

280Z has thicker sheetmetal so you can swap a V8 in there without serious chassis stiffening.

3K~5K....try looking into doing a LS1 swap.

A lot of good info can be accessed to through the search function.

Also buy a copy of THE bible : The Datsun V8 swap manual from this site

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Guest coolmesser

I am in the middle of it now also. For 3-5k I wouldn't go the LS1 route because you would (so I have seen) go over budget. Of course some around here may have been able to slide under - but I just don't see it.

If you got the Z in Portland you need to do some serious inspecting for rust in the front before sinking that money into it.

I've spent 3 and a half thousand so far and mine isnt close to being done. This is with the first generation carburated small block 350 and a WC T5 5 speed. These were both rebuilt for 2k. If you add the bellhousing, clutch kit, master cylinder, and flywheel, you have at least 2 and a half thousand. The JTR kit was I think around 500. I got my intake and carb cheap for 70 (used). If you add all the other stuff you forget to budget like the shifter, fuel pump, fuel lines, ect. It adds up. LS1, in my opinion is pretty much out of the question until you have 7-8 grand. The LS1 and T56 alone can cost 3 i think. Correct me if im wrong.

First get the JTR book its priceless when first starting and will save you alot of cash on mistakes. I did my 350/700R4 for about 3k it ran well but I can't seem to leave well enough alone :). LS1/T56 is about a week away from having some serious fun but I'm in to it about 7k and thats me doing all the work. So as always it comes down to the mighty dollar.

Guest coolmesser

if you want some kind of estimate on prices then read through this site. I can tell you some of the going rates right now for the stuff I acquired:

JTR manual - $40 (with S&H)

JTR conversion kit w/ radiator & mounts - about $600

350 - obviously varies. I picked up a decent 4 bolt w/ TBI for $450

700r4 - (what I picked) $250, obviously varies also

TV cable kit - $140

Shifter - $150

materials for coilover - around $600 (depending on what you have for tools)

I still have a ways to go. Headers, cam, new intake and carb (if I go there), new brakes (ugh), fuel line and pump ... not to mention the fact I am making it into a convertible.