HybridZ

Home made rad hose 'sleeve'

Well, I don't know how well it's gona work, but I'm gona try it. :) I had to 'build' a lower rad hose (really, and extension) for my V8 rx7 and came up with this; I got a piece of exhast pipe with an OD slightly bigger than the ID of my rad hose. (About 3" long) I then took a coat hanger and wraped it tightly around the pipe on either end, about 1/2" from the edge. Once I got it nicely curved around, I welded it (slowly worked around it) to the pipe, and after it cooled a bit, belt sanded it smooth. It is a bit of a tight fit to insert it into the rad hose, but with a clamp on it, I can't pull it off for the life of me.. So I think it'll hold pressure.. but I'm not sure how long it'll last. :lol: Anyone have thoughts on this?

This is how all my connections are done, but with aluminum. Only thing is, I run a one inch bead along the surface on ether side of the pipe to stop the hose from slipping off. Paint yours and it will out last the car.

The next time a truck has it's hood up have a look.

I started to go the Do-It-Your-Self route and found what I needed

from here. It saved a lot of time and was not all that expensive.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZ_Hose-Splice-Kit.html

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Pages/Parts_DATZ_Hose_Splicer_Reducer.html

https://shell7.tdl.com/%7Ejags/Pages/Parts_TPI-TBI_Brass-Tees.html

should work especially with the coat hanger innovation. Years ago I burnt up an L20 engine with a straight pipe splice. When one end of pipe came loose..so much water was lost so fast that temp gauge didn't move... It was the smoke that got my attention... Later upon inspection.. the piston rings were blue but the block did not need boring but the head was warped.

If you want to drop some coin:

p18819.jpg

Bead Former for Metal Tubing 5/8in -2in

Bead Former for Metal Tubing - Create a uniform raised bead near the tube end with an OEM look. Raised bead promotes sealing and prevents tube from sliding off. Forms up to 18 gauge (.050") steel. Beads tubes 5/8" - 2" OD. Produces a bead .050" tall. Perfect for radiator, heater core, inter-cooler, fuel lines, vacuum plumbing, ducting, and more. Can be vise mounted or hand-held. Hardened forming rolls. Use with a crank handle (included) or ratchet. May be vise mounted or hand-held. Made in USA. One year limited manufacturer's warranty.

$399.99

Heh.. well seeing as I'm trying to do this whole car cheep cheep, and that's about HALF of what I have into it (at this point) I think I'll pass for now.. :lol: Cool little tool though.. maybe I can build my own (I do work in a machine shop) and undercut that price... :twisted: it'd help pay for this project!