HybridZ

battery drain

Guest used2bfordguy

Guest used2bfordguy

All,

New to the hybrid Z, but the one I recently purchased has a slow battery drain. I think it is related to the driving lights (rear) are constantly on. I thought I may have fixed it, but it seems to have come back. Any thoughts on best way to troubleshoot the wiring on a 72 240z with Chevy V8. Thanks

Disconnect neg terminal of the battery. Connect volt meter to the battery cable and the battery post, and set meter to millivolts. Then watch the readout as you pull fuses one at a time. When the draw goes away, then you know what circuit its on. You're on your own from there... :wink:

Actually you want the meter on milliamps. Volts would still read 12. There will always be some draw on the battery from things like clocks and radio memory. Try with the meter on amps first so that you don't blow a fuse in the meter if the current is too high. The method I like the most is to wire a light bulb between the negative post and cable and shine it somewhere I can easily see while I disconnect fuses. If the current draw is small use a tail light bulb, if it is a big draw you can use a headlight. I have also used an ignition buzzer before so that I could hear while tracing the wires to a taillight circuit. I used to do a lot of electrical work when I first started out in automotive service.

I use a test light in series with the battery cable. Mine will glow if there's more than .1 amp drain; enough to cause starting problems after a few days. A seat-belt buzzer in series will help if you're dash diving and can't keep looking at the meter (same as dmyntti). I agree to use care to not blow the internal meter fuse. (Start with the biggest setting first.)

P.S. Don't forget to look for non-fused items like alternators, cig lighter, starter solenoid, etc.

Possibly a short in the headlight wiring, it uses a breaker and has no fuse. Also look to the wiring up to the fuse box and anything else not protected by a fuse. The main feed to the alternator (not fused) is a common problem area along with voltage regulators (I believe these are fused though). I often find shorts in the battery box area of cars with the battery up front by the headlight marker light wiring. It seems alot of people put the battery down pinching some of the wiring. Look in the areas where you recently did some work where wires might be pinched or rubbed by sharp metal.