HybridZ

Chapparal2F, going to Monterey Historics?

JMortensen

I think you misunderstood what I meant. These were not exactly mass produced. I kinda figured there was about 1 of each model. Not saying anything bad about the car, although if Gran Turismo 4 is accurate at all it the 2J is a handful around LS. :wink:

from the participant list I can only spot two Chaparral cars, both "chaparral 1" 1961/1962 running in group 3B, Doesnt really tell you what people will bring just to show, or what's going to be in the main hall. Wish I could go this year or next year, or the year after that...its depressing really...it will be some time before I get to go again...

Guest blue73z
from the participant list I can only spot two Chaparral cars, both "chaparral 1" 1961/1962 running in group 3B, Doesnt really tell you what people will bring just to show, or what's going to be in the main hall. Wish I could go this year or next year, or the year after that...its depressing really...it will be some time before I get to go again...

I think that only a few of the early Chaparrals were actually sold, Jim Hall kept all the rest. They are now on display in the Petroluem Museum in Midland, Texas.

Aaron

If two of the five Chaparral 1's are there it would still be a real treat to see them. I believe Jim Hall brought them to Monterey a few years ago. I seem to remember seeing Phil Hill in the 2f on Speedvision, but I am not really sure. (too much fun in the '60's)

I would love to see the 2J . It was the most advanced car of its time.

Denny Hulme, who drove for McClaren, wrote, "I knew we were in trouble on the grid at Riverside (1970) when they started that little engine running the fans and the whole car squatted down visibly against the road." The 2J only raced four times in 1970, and did not finish three of those. In its only finish it placed 6th. However in three of those races, it sat on the pole and on the fourth. it recorded the fastest lap with Jackie Stewart driving. How strange that a car that only ran four times could change the rules of Can Am. a class that was intended to have only a minimum of rules to allow for experimentation .

I don't know if I can make it, but you can bet I'm sure going to try. Especially if I get that *@*&%!#ing Z finished.

Chaparal was the featured car at The Brian Redman Challenge at Road America a few years ago. None of his cars were raced. There was a very large tent/display area with all his cars, and at lunch time Mr. Hall took the high winged can am car out for a few parade laps. My guess would be the same for Monterey.