HybridZ

SA timing chain/gears?

For my 454 BBC an engine builder recommended a "SA adjustable billet timing set". Has anyone ever heard of SA? They're not in the Summit or Jegs catalogs. It's supposed to be a relatively high-end timing chain, with 9 keyways.

There was a guy that I used to work with(he got canned for being a hack(autotech)) had

a Cutlas with a 427 BBC. He had one of those timing sets but he called it variable timing. Apperently when the engine reved up higher in the RPMs it would advance the cam a few degrees.

Apperently it wasn't enough because I smoked him bad(8-10 car lengths easy). He blew that motor up because he was shooting too much Nitrous at it and dropped a valve! Now hes running a 502 and still only getting 12.1-.3 on motor and like a 11.00 on Nitrous. The guy was a tool who talked a lot of smack but couldnt back it up. Point is I dont really know that he actually had that "Variable cam timing" set up or not. He clams he bought it from the guy who invented it.:rolleyesg.

I think you should just install your cam as it was intended and buy better more bang for the buck go fast parts. But to each his own!

Guy

What I meant to say was that this is not a gimmicky attempt at variable valve timing; it just has 9 keyways instead of the more usual 3, and the gears are billet steel. Otherwise it’s just a regular “true roller†timing chain set. My only frustration (well, at least in this particular context) is that I’ve never heard of SA, and I’m reluctant to purchase a brand with no reputation.

Im not a professional engine builder but I say just install the cam the way it was intened, be it straight up or a few degrees advanced. I really doubt there is any large perfomance gain to be had by having an adjustable cam gear on a SBC. I say just buy a nice dual roller timing set and be done with it. There are better ways to gain HP than this.

Guy

SA is a company developed by former DynaGear employees when DynaGear went out of business. Do not know much about their product but if it is the same quality and materials as DynaGear, then it should be a good product. However, do not let the name of the company or the fact that is a "double roller", etc, fool you into believing their timing sets are a good product. Most of the big names are now using powdered metal and those are prone to failure. In the Buick world we see this a lot and it is because the chain is a much harder material than the gear sets and the gear sets get chewed up. Where does all that chewed up metal go? What you need to do is find out if the gears are made from a hardened metal and you should be OK, regardless of brand.

If you have a day or 2, I can get you the telephone number for SA and you can call and ask them since the people selling the timing sets only know how to look up an item in a catalog.