HybridZ

240SX Throttle Body leakage

cygnusx1

I think I have found an intake leak at the 240SX 60mm TB butterfly shaft on the linkage side. Before I remove it, is there a replaceable seal available for that TB or is there another form of repair? I don't want to take it apart until I have all the repair parts at hand.

Thanks.

if you have access to a robotics supply house, or even a very good bearing supply house, you will be able to order a small seal that will replace it from the NTN catalog.

I almost warrant they will have to order it, but the seal you get is nice, and will last a long time. The red silicone ruber ones you can buy work well for sealing leaky shafts on N/A carburettors, too!

Old School, you slipped an O-Ring over the shaft, and then a washer that was machined to slip fit over the shaft, and a spring to preload against the throttle arm, to preload the o-ring against the body and seal it up...

For the effort of removing the junk to get to the seal, you may as well just find another throttle body and install it, then fix this one, as you might have to machine some of the surfaces to make the replacement NTN seal fit perfectly. But when you are done, yo uhave a damn nice repair, and an easily sourced standard seal for service in the future.

Good Luck. Wait 20 years when the bolt on stuff frrom the junkyards is no longer readily available---then the above procedure will not sound so daunting! LOL