HybridZ

Magnaflow impressions

DavyZ

I just had a Magnaflow installed on our Suburban. The Suburban system is basically a stock 3" and I had only the muffler replaced. I was very surprised to find out that the sound was near stock even though the muffler is a 14" long performance unit that you can actually see through from inlet through to outlet! You'd at least expect some baffles and whatnot to silence the exhaust note, but this sounds a lot like stock until you mash the accelerator pedal to the floor, but even then, it's not too bad at all. I think most Z guys like a little exhaust note, but if you are going for more of a stealth factor and want to quiet a V8, the Magnaflow might be a good alternative to stock or a noisier Flowmaster. Just a thought.

Davy

thanks for sharing! I was thinking of getting Magnaflow to quiet down my exhuast.. hmmm

The only caveat I can think of is the length of the exhaust and the muffler as well---the Suburban is loooong! That length of pipe combines with a 14" muffler case makes for a quiet note. Still, I'm impressed and I'd have to say that something similar might take place on a Z, but certainly not to the same degree. What do you run now??

Davy

Guest Z Draci

When I'm done with my turbo swap, I was thinking about putting a 24" glass pack and getting a Dynamax in the back. I was some rumble but nothing out of control.

Maybe I could get away with just a Dynamax?

When I'm done with my turbo swap' date=' I was thinking about putting a 24" glass pack and getting a Dynamax in the back. I was some rumble but nothing out of control.

Maybe I could get away with just a Dynamax?[/quote']

Good question. I have not installed the 3" mandrel bent system I bought from Rick Johnson (almost 5 years ago *ugh*) but I bought it from him because he said it was 'quiet', which is exactly what I wanted for my own car. The system has a stainless Borla bullet muffler up front and Dynomax out back---all 3" inside & out. I have yet to hook it up and hear it, but I think his description is accurate, so your ideas about what you want sound right to me. I'd rethink the idea of losing the glasspack (or something similar) up front---it sould also help kill some resonance.

Davy

I Have An 83 Turbo Motor In A 260. 2 1/2 Back To A Magnaflow And It Sounds Great. Nice Rumble At Idle , V8 Roar On Accel But No Resination Or Loud Roar When Crusin Or Highway Work . Found Post With A Test On 30 Or So Mufflers Showing Hp And Dbl's When Tested On A V8 And The Magnaflow Finished 3rd Or 4th. Dynomax Was Bout 8th Or So. The Magnaflow Was Cheeper By Far Than The Top 3 And Had More Power With Reasonable Dbl's Than Anything In The Bottom 27.

• 4 weeks later...

Your car's not a turbo though is it? They're quieter. I need a muffler right now on my 300 ZXT cause the one on it rusted out before I bought it. It's kinda loud now, but still not too bad.

The Magnaflow might be for me since the car is completely stock. I hate the resonator noises on the interstate of some mufflers.

i ran a 3" 19" long oval magnaflow behind l28 turbo.muffler was mounted under drive shaft where cat convertor used to be.exhaust was all 3" mandrel bends.car was quiet.car is apart and muffler was torn up from an offroad trip at thunderhill .i will be doing this system again.magnafow has no baffles -just a curved perforated tube with packing around it .good for turbo applications.some of the loud magnaflows are small , short units more like resonators.there is a 2005 mustang at work with a 4.0 v6 and x pipe and dual magnaflows.but mufflers are about 14" long and 5" around and straight through.car is loud.i wont use baffle type mufflers behind a turbo.if you run some pipe behind muffler its quieter.but there are only 2 places to put a muffler on a z.and %90 of z owners put muffler in stock spot-that limits you to a short muffler.

I use a SS "Race Series" oval 14" Magnaflow with a 3'' exhaust, stock rear mounting, on my turbo L and it's rather loud. Not the quietest one around, but OK with me. Good performance and sound "quality", IMO.

Note that large turbines are louder on Turbo cars...with my old T3 stage 3 in a .63 AR housing the exhaust was nowhere near as loud as my current stage 5/.63.

I also noticed an increase in exhaust volume when I installed a freer-flowing exhaust manifold. (Old BAE cast iron, ported.)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up building a SS system using a 16" x 4" round Magnaflow (resonator) and 14" oval Magnaflow in the rear. The header is an old school SS JanSpeed (from the UK). There is an O2 bung located in the collector where the twin pipes merge into one for tuning. The piping is 2" up to the resonator and then it opens to 2.5" out to the tip. The cost is way up there but it should outlast me being SS throughtout. I haven't finished the vent hose replacements yet so I haven't fired the engine up yet. The hope that the resonator will make the car livable for more than weekend runs.

Janspeed header 2 (Small)_thumb.jpg

DSCF0232 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0233 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0234 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCF0235 (Small)_thumb.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had joined sooner to get ideas but looks like I may be in good shape. I have 2.5 inch side pipes on a 425+ horsepower 350 Chevy that was ruining my hearing and having police follow me. The shop has spliced the exhaust pipes with two 2.5 inch pipes going into a 3 inch collector behind the Super T10 to a Magnaflow 3 inch muffler and added collectors in front of each side pipe with plates that can be removed for racing. With the new addition, the exhaust tone is smoother and more pleasing to the ear with the side pipes functional. Go figure. From what you are saying, the single 3 inch will add stealth to street use. I argued about the lack of baffles and they assured me it would be quiet.

Update 9-25-06. Dropped the Magnaflow and switched to a single 3 inch Turbo. Blocking the sidepipes and with just the three inch, resonance increased significantly inside the car. Part of this is due to stripping out all of the sound proofing for weight. The Turbo is much quieter but I will still need to either add a resonator or resinsulate the trunk area. Also, unfortunately, it sounds more like a fart pipe car now. The upside is that it makes for a real sleeper on the street for unwary Camaros, Vettes and Mustangs. With all three exhausts opened, it was the best sounding car at the High Speed Touring event at Hallett Raceway in OK.

I have dual 2 1/2" exhausts that run from the headers through a true X pipe to the rear and then cross over to the stock drivers side exhaust position. They exit out through a Magnaflow that has dual 2 1/2" inlets and, in my case, a single 2 1/2" exit although a 3" is available.

Several guys here on this forum, including IA Consultants, had an opportunity to hear it at idle and close to WOT last night.