HybridZ

LS1 basics

Guest gaydm.com

Guest gaydm.com

I've searched and couldn't find any newbie LS1 swap type of thread. Maybe this could be one for future searchers.

In my quest for information on the swap I was given this link by a Z loving friend of mine.

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

If you guys could point me towards any other helpful links or just hit me with some helpful informaiton that would rock.

Thanks

-Kyle

I have been planning the swap myself for some time. I think you will find people on this site will be very helpful if you make some effort to research such general questions yourself first.

Here, start with this thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=67949&highlight=jeromio

then follow the links to some of the member sites who posted on that thread. Particularly jeromio, maichor, phantom and mas280.

you might also try searching the chevy forum for LS1

Guest gaydm.com

I've done some searching around this board and found alot of threads about paticular cars people had built up but none of these threads had much in the way of information about the swap itself.

Like I said I have done some basic research on various websites and asked my Z loving friends for whatever help they can provide.

Thanks for the link, thats pretty much what I was looking for.

What do you want to know about the swap? Everyone who has done it from scratch has done it differently. The only kit out there for the swap is from John's cars (brokenkitty). If you have questions about using his kit, Phantom's car was the prototype for the kit. I swapped more than just the motor, including PS Brake booster etc, because I had a donor car and the parts were in better condition. The reason you have not had many responses is probably because your original question would take a long time to tell you everything all of us know about swapping and LS1 into an S30, and just about all of it has been discussed before.

So again, what do you want to know? Are you asking about difficulty, cost, engine placement, accessories, fuel system, electrical, cooling etc.?

I put my motor slightly closer to the firewall than the JTR position and used Corvette style biscuit mounts and a new crossmember. I kept the power steering in the stock position and relocated a small GM alternater high on the passenger's side. I used the F-body fuel tank and my harness was reworked to get rid of uneeded electrical circuits by Speartech. Fabrication skills are required unless you hire someone to do it. The Johns Cars kit only requires a little drilling etc. If you ask specifics we can give better answers.

Try my series of 40+ posts under "LS1 / T56 Update #**".

Searching in the Chevy forum using LS1 as your search criteria should turn up a wealth of information. Then you can braden into other forums for chassis, brakes, suspension, etc.

If anyone is having trouble finding info using the search feature, it's because there are too many of these dumb posts asking for a wide blanket of info. Inevitably one or two kind souls enter the thread and offer up a little bit of general info - just trying to be nice. And then we've just diluted the pool of info even further.

So, Kyle, I will admit that this problem is not 100% your fault - there is a lot of junk in the db. But you've only added to it. And it really is not that hard to find the LS1 info on here.

One problem is that king-daddy thread on the LS1 is called "Mountiong LS1 into 1971" - which is just not a good thread title.

If I was a moderator of this fine board I would immediately delete posts like this. I would then send a PM to the poster, pointing out the uselessness of such a generic, open ended question and point out the marvels of the search function. It would also be key if we could fix some obvious mistakes in thread titles, etc.

In the meantime, go here: http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=166789

My LS1 240Z is also on the road. I used JCI kit too. If you look at a list member's profile, you can find all posts and threads that member was part of. If you look at mine, I have lots of info on the swap.

Good Luck!

Guest gaydm.com

I was interested in information on the john's cars kit.

I feared making "another pointless post" with this post. I hesitated in even making the post in the first place but couldn't find the information needed with the search feature. But enough about how effin pointless my post is, because I already made it. Maybe the thread mentioned that had awesome info should be sticky'd?

I like to think of myself as being pretty mechaniclly inclined, and am only gaining in knowledge as time progresses having helped some other friends with rarer swaps.

As far as difficulty in installing the motor using John's kit how hard would you guys say it is?

Also I would like some information about wiring it up and installing some of the accesories. I will check out every link already posted.

Agian, sorry for the newb *** post. Maybe get it stickied?