HybridZ

uncentered wheels?

Hey guys,

I have a '74 260 that has Tokico struts/springs and american racing wheels. The wheels are the "outlaw II" style so I am told, I pulled them off of a non running '79 280ZX. I have had the wheels on the car since March and there has always been a slight thud in the rear that made me think the wheels were not centered, I took them off and put them back on man times, making sure that all of the lugs were sitting in the tapered groove properly. This did not solve the problem. The wheels seem to be centered, but when the rear wheels are installed witht the centercap off the hub looks off center compared to the opening in the center of the wheel. Today I got to thinking that maybe it was the mounting in the Diff that has worn out and makes the rear bounce like the wheels are uncentered? Any help is appreciated.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

You May Also Look Into Hubcentric Rings To Further Center Your Wheels.... Sometimes Even If You Get The Lugs Centered And Torqued The Wheels Will Still Silp.

You May Also Look Into Hubcentric Rings To Further Center Your Wheels.... Sometimes Even If You Get The Lugs Centered And Torqued The Wheels Will Still Silp.

Agreed, wheel manufacturers design the wheel to fit a wider range of applications, which means that the wheel doesn't sit on the hub as its supposed to, but sits on the wheel studs. Hubcentric rings are cheap.

You can check runout with a dial indicator or an alignment shop can. Are you using the tires too? I mean are these the same tires/wheels from a non-running vehicle? It could be as simple as a flat spot in a tire. It could also be internal separation in the tire. If you rotate the wheels does the thump move?

One thing I ALWAYS do when I mount my wheel/tires - I fully torque the lugs with the wheels off the ground. That gives the lugs a chance to actually center the wheel. If you torque them up with the weight of the car on them they won't center properly unless they are hub centric wheels. Lug centric won't make it.