HybridZ

LS1 driveshaft question

Anyone using the aluminum driveshaft?
Not me.
If so how do you adapt/weld it to your flange to mount to the Z?
The ds just has to be shortened. The adapter bolts to your pinion flange - no difference here betw. alum. or steel shaft.
Is the driveshaft the same for the auto and manual?
I believe they are different lengths, but since you have to shorten it, it doesn't matter. I used an A4 ds with my T56.
I am shopping around for a driveshaft for my LS1 project.
IMO, alum ds is for bling. In this application, the thing ends up like 2 feet long, so the weight savings is minimal. I would also make sure your local ds shop can work with aluminum before you decide.

IMO, alum ds is for bling. In this application, the thing ends up like 2 feet long, so the weight savings is minimal. I would also make sure your local ds shop can work with aluminum before you decide.

Ron Tyler was convinced that the less rotating mass of an aluminum driveshaft was one of the keys to avoiding driveline vibrations. He said the shortness of the shaft combined with the relatively higher rotations speeds (due to the generally lower rear end ratios) made an aluminum shaft that much more important in a Z.

Just another man's opinion I guess.

Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering what you guys are using because I hardly find any steel driveshaft on Ebay. I definitely want to go with the steel driveshaft cuz I can do the welding at home and bring it to the shop for balancing.

One more question: When you guys removed the old tranny mounts did you have to remove the whole re-enforcement piece that weld to the tunel too? This is the V shape piece that the tranny mounts spot welded to. Thanks

Vinh

PS. I am in the process of trial fitting the engine and building the mount like Cyrus and Machoir did. I will slot my support beam so that I can move the engine side to side (not much). I am also paying very close attention to the straightness of the driveline relative to the original driveline. I am measure the old driveline (L6) relative to several points to the car/frame and then when I put the LS1 motor in I can do the same measurements. This will get me as close as possible to the original driveline. This hopefully will have no vibrations at the end.

I will be using the stock headers and they both are interfered by the TC mounting tab. I have just solve this problem by cutting the lower pipe of the header (where it was welded) and pull them apart. Now I can just rotate the lower piece a bit inward and they should be cleared of the TC mounts. Will post pictures in a bit..

Thanks DaleMX. I did a measurement of the 4L60E and it looks like I should not have to remove the re-enforcement piece. It will be a PITA if I have to remove that piece. Anyway I have a few pictures of the stock exhaust header that I cut up and rotate them to get them to clear the TC mounts.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079260/2

Also I had removed the old engine mounts. I am trying to make a little tab to mount the alternator to the lower driver side. I will try to keep the AC compressor in the stock location (lower passenger side) . It will be very tight from the measurements I made with the AC compressor and the alternator on.

PS. Dale I have a 77 Z

A word of caution... I tried to have my Camaro aluminum driveshaft shortened and they couldn't weld it (Drive Line Service, San Jose). They said it was some wierd alloy. And they make custom aluminum drive shafts. I ended up having a custom drive shaft made (probably a lot stronger too)