HybridZ

Help locating a shop......

Sparks280zt

Hey guys, I recently finished up my 76 with l28et swap and installed an all brand new interior. Well after all this work my turbo motor needs to be rebuilt. I dropped it off 3 weeks ago at a shop about an hour from here and he still hasnt touched it. He did admit he was about 2 weeks behind as it was but thats not what really bothered me. I asked him about using a aftermarket clutch like a centerforce or an ACT and he looked at me like i was an idiot and said they were all trash. He said he would only use a nissan clutch but when asking him about installing the full autometers i bought he kinda just stared at me and told me they were nothin but a waste of money. So if anyone can recommend a descent shop in the NC/SC TN/VA area or even GA that can rebuild my engine and install my gauges it would be great. Or even better if someone on here can do it and needs to make some money im up for that as long as you have some refrences. And before you ask why dont u do it yourself, well school, job, gf, having a life, no room, no tools, etc. etc.

Guest Battle Pope

I can't really help much with recommending a shop because I'm all the way over here in OR, but I will tell you not to buy a Centerforce clutch. I've known 3 people (all with different cars) who have had their brand new centerforce clutches outright fail.

One of them dropped their trans and found all the clutch pads laying in the bellhousing along with the brass rivets that held them on.

Many ppl are complaining about the centerforce clutch.Mie lasted about 20k miles or less.I think ACT is better from ppl's reference too.I have an act thats going into my turbo festiva.But i'm in the same position as you the guy has not touched the car ever since it got there.

A few years ago at the MSA West Coast Nationals autocross/driving school the Motorsports folks gave the instructors some SWAG as a thank you. Included in the stuff were Centerforce baseball caps. Myself, Rick Brown, John Williams, Bryan Lampe, and a couple other Z racers all gave the Centerforce caps back to the MSA folks. We were afraid they would fail...

DO IT YOURSELF!!!!

Im j/p i know this guy in mooresville who does awesome work! Kinda pricey though. Second of all a g/f is no excuss you should train her to help you work on teh car instead of being her bitch, and your car should be your life, BE HARDCORE.

since i work as an auto technician at a dealership and also managed an owner operated repair shop that did custom work i will tell the inside truth on having custom work done.%90 of auto repair shops dont like to do it.it ALWAYS takes longer than its supposed to or the job was estimated at.the shops only like to take jobs in that can be estimated with mitchell time manual(stock newer cars).if you find somebody that does a lot of custom work he probably charges for time and material(no mitchell times) and your job will end up being big$$$$.another problem is locating parts.since the average shop owner thinks in tenths of an hour(flat rate speak) if time on the phone he is loosing money.if you cant do your own assembly and mechanical work(i farm my machine shop work out) and dont have big bucks a project car is not the best thing to own.sometimes a shop will do project work but it will be a low priority item and if cash flow work comes in (brake jobs,water pumps)your car will be worked on when ever.alot of old sports car are owned by people with money and the shops that work on them charge big money.here in central california you are looking at $80 to $100 an hour.

just called balanced performace, they wanted $4500 to $5500 to rebuild the motor :shock: thats friggin crazy i would put a chevy crate motor in before going that route. Mark I called your friend and the guy that built his 510 motor has since quit rebuilding engines, so im back to square one it looks like