HybridZ

Prices at Barrett-Jackson action and more...

DavD3

Hi guys, do you watch this action? I can't belive my eyes.... the prices went up on classic cars probably more then prices on properties in CA lately.I just saw 1970 Hemi Cuda sold for $250,000.00 I remeber 10 years ago the classic cars market was more affordable then now days. It looks like market going crazy as it was in late '80, and then it crashed of course but i don't see it happening now. I remeber you could find Mustang and Cameros in a good condition in Recycler for about 4-7 grand, 240z can be had for $1500-2500. I remeber once i was looking at '71 yellow car in a ok condition, the guy even rebuild the head on it, all he wanted $300, and i didn't like it,what was i thinking??? I rember the other guy had Pontiac Firebird 400 '68 with rebuild engine, car probably need couple grand to look great, i passed that oportunity too. Only if i knew that the prices would go that high.... DO you think this prices is for real? I red an article in one of the classic car magazines, the author bought Alfa Romeo , i think it was 2900B, which needed total restoration for 30Gs, then the same day he sold it to his friend for 60Gs and his friend in the evening sold it to the buyer in Europe for 85Gs all in one day !!!!

If i only had a time machine.....

Man, I am with you. I can remember as a teenager back in the 70's looking for a car and seeing all these adds for hemi cuda's and chargers and thinking "who the hell wants one of those nose heavy POS's"? Apparantly not many people did, because they didn't make many of them. That is why they are worth so much now. They are rare.

But car prices at the high end acutions are more speculators looking to make a dollar than pure car buffs. Back in the 80's it was anything with a Ferrari logo sold for upwards of million bucks. But that market came back down to earth. The economy has had a pretty good run last 10 years or so, so now aging baby boomers have the excess money. My guess is the prices may continue to skyrocket, but will probably correct sometime in the not too distant future.

But what do I know? I passed on that 69 hemi charger I saw in the paper 30 years ago.

Well, I'm going to wait another 20 years and my '85 Monte SS and my boys '74 260 z will be worth millions cause that's what its going to take to pay the gas to drive 'em. In the meantime, the quest to post lower et timeslips continues. BTW what is my '33 dodge P/U worth?

I don't know about Dodge '33 P/U but Chevy '56 or '57 P/U totally restored with rare factory dual carbs went for 45,000.00 And then there was other Chevy P/U which was choped and hot roded it went more then 80,000.00 SO if you start restore yours or customise it you probably could get good deal on it one day.

A few years ago I had to choose between keeping the Z or a clean 70 El Camino SS 454 4sp. It was agonizing.

I flip flopped back and forth a few times. But now I don’t regret my choice.

More than once I had found my self with the brakes locked up on the Chev trying desperately to stop and thinking that the Z wouldn’t do this, it would just stop.

The one that got away was my ’70 AAR ‘Cuda. I sold it for $5500 in ’85 when we ran short of cash. I can’t imagine it’s value now.