HybridZ

high boost for a daily driver

chopstic

I bought my 78 z a year ago just to do a v8 swap in, but now i am considering the zx turbo instead. looking around the forum, it looks like a lot of you have your boost turned up pretty high. My car is daily driven, and i really do MEAN daily driven, probably 90-100mi daily because of my long commute to work. I realize that a lot of you might not be driving your cars daily. my question is how much boost can be safely run for a daily driver? i'd like to reach 300rwhp, but the z is my only car, so i need to keep it reliable.

Guest bastaad525

that will depend on what you use to reach that power.

If you're expecting 300whp from mostly stock setup, stock T3 and such, it's probably not going to be the MOST reliable car, though people have gotten away with it for a long time. Problem with that would be mostly, that you'd have to run a really high boost on the T3 to hit 300whp, high teens, and depending how much you get on it, it's gonna cut down the life of that turbo.

that's just an example. The point is, it's all in the parts you use. The stock MOTOR (block/head) can easily make 300whp and sustain that very reliably if it's in good shape to begin with, but you're looking at an upgraded turbo and some sort of upgrade to your efi to be able to support that much power reliably. Then you're looking at at least some sort of drivetrain upgrades as well, like an upgraded clutch and/or pressure plate. Otherwise, it would be a reliable daily driver, BUT, do expect some wear items to wear out faster.

With the stock T3 and (mostly) stock EFI, the most you could probably do reliably, daily, is like 14-15psi and around 250-275rwhp (depending on other mods).

If you originally wanted the V8 I would still do it. Just turbo that. A low boost v8 would have a larger power band and be more enjoyable to drive than a high boost L. I ran a high boost (24 psi) DD. Just don't let it knock. Detonation at high boost is alot worse than at 8 psi. I would also throw every part of the stock T3 in the trash and run a full T4. It will make getting close to 400 rwhp on pump gas pretty easy.

I drive my 77 280z turbo daily. I run 16-17 psi, a large frame T4 turbo, good engine management (TEC II), 550 injectors, good intercooler, upgraded clutch/fuel pump and cam, otherwise stock longblock and make 300+ rwhp all day long with no reliability issues. As Clifton said, you can make very reliable horsepower on pump gas, as long as you keep detonation at bay.

I drive my 77 280z turbo daily. I run 16-17 psi, a large frame T4 turbo, good engine management (TEC II), 550 injectors, good intercooler, upgraded clutch/fuel pump and cam, otherwise stock longblock and make 300+ rwhp all day long with no reliability issues. As Clifton said, you can make very reliable horsepower on pump gas, as long as you keep detonation at bay.

...and you keep detonation at bay by running an efficient turbo that does not generate a lot of heat, having a good engine management system, sufficient fueling and a good I/C :D :D or you can run an alky injection system (25psi boost myself)

an mike car is fast too(zgad)

sorry mike i had to add that in there.

hurry up with the 2jz i wanna drool i mean go for a ride!

I see you are in Largo. Are you coming up to the SEZ? That will be your first chance.

HeatRaver, do a search for "240Z Turbo" and get in touch with him. Let him know the details of your setup and goals and he will hook you up the best turbo for your needs.