HybridZ

82 ECU/wiring harness install in 1977 280Z

HB280ZT

Hi All,

Well i need help. I have the complete 82 turbo harness and all other parts installed in my 77 280Z. I am not getting any spark so I think my ignitor is shot!! I have a new one on order and the correct one ( long story) should be here tomorrow morning. I have good fuel pressure and the pump is running like it should on start up. I also have a good ECU green light in the on position but it goes out when I crank the motor, is this good or bad??? Please let me know if this is correct and what else I should check.

Thanks

HB280ZT

Well no takers!!

I put on the new ignitor but still no spark!!

I changed out the ECU and that did not change anything.

So what next??

I am not sure where to check now. I may try and swap the distributor as a last resort but other then that I am out of luck and time on this swap.

I will just have to put in the old setup and get it running for my road trip the end of this week.

HB280ZT

Well I am back and can finally post a reply to MattSun's post. To start with the engine did run because it has been in my car for about 6 years and has been running, sorta!! As for the connectors yes I did clean them with contact cleaner and I tried to scrap them if possible. As for how I did the wiring here is what I did, it is long!!

I am using parts from an 82 turbo 280ZX.

Computer

AFM

Distributor and shaft

Wiring harness

Wiring harness configuration:

Plug #1

Br – Brown to battery

G – Green to battery

Plug #2 near ECU

YW - Yellow/White: goes to the ignitor (I used the LW Blue/White wire that was in the harness to run the signal out to the coil; I used the YW wire between the empty terminal and the y wire)

Y – Yellow: is the start signal (I ran a wire to the BY Black/Yellow wire on the 77 harness under the dash)

Plug #3 at battery

G – Green: 12v constant taken from the battery

BW – Black/White: 12v switched

LR – Blue/Red: fuel pump signal to fuel pump relay pin 86

Ignitor

BW – Black/White: used BW wire from the harness 12v Switched

YW – Yellow/White: from plug #2 via LW wire

Fuel pump relay

85 – Ground to chassis and B on EFI relay

86 – Signal from ECU via LR wire from plug #3

87 – 12 volts to pump

30 – Constant power from battery

I hope someone can find a problem because at the race track the other day the car was running very rich and it smoked up the track pretty good!! Also with it running that rich I had problems with the car running over 4500 rpm's, you see it would lean out over 4500 rpms and ping like crazy.

HB280ZT

• 3 weeks later...

Check your crank sensor. Is yours in the distributor? or down by the crank? On the 81 they are down on the crank. My sensors were really dirty when i fist put my car together. Cleaned the terminals that read the magnets on the crank, and it fired right up, and make sure it is aligned right. Also make sure that you are getting power to your ECU and ignitor during cranking... I have made that mistake also.

Bumble Zee,

Thanks for the information. As for my setup my crank sensor is in the distributor, 82 setup. Not really sure how to clean it other then spraying it with contact cleaner.

As for timing I believe I had that setup correctly.

Now about getting power to the ECU during cranking, mine had a green light before and during cranking. I also got the fuel pump to prime the system then shut off . The only item I did not check is if I was getting power to the ignitor during cranking. But I was using the same source BW that is supplied to the ECU.

HB280ZT

Bumble Zee

I got my switched voltage from the Z ignition harness under the dash, wire BY. This went to the Y wire of plug #2. As for the B/W it came from the ECU. To show that my B/W wire was getting the correct signal it powered the fuel pump as it should. However I still did not get a spark.

So should I use the B/W wire that is part of the Z harness that was used to power the original coil?? I will have to look into this one.

Where did you get your switched power from in your setup??

Thanks for the help!!

HB280ZT

• 7 years later...

I just realized I must have junked my ignition harness from the 83 donor 280zxt. How f'ed am I?

Not very f'ed. You only need a couple, maybe a few of the wires from it. I made mine. If you have a grasp of the infamous "turbo swap sticky" then it's a piece of cake. I have a spare, but it's from an '81, so it wouldn't be plug and play for you.