HybridZ

Just got a 240 for free!!!

wheelman

Gotcha!!

It's a 240 but not a Z.

A good friend had a 1985 Volvo 245 DL (the station wagon) with 300k+ miles that lost the timing belt about a year ago. She tried to sell it but got no takers, even myself. Last week she had an incident in her apartment complex and a downstairs neighbor retaliated against her by breaking the rear hatch window. This was the last straw and she decided to give it to me. So now I'm the proud (I think) owner of a Volvo wagon with no dents or dings, good paint, 2 small rust spots at the bottom of each rear quarter panel and almost perfect interior.

I'm planning on installing a new timing belt and tensioner to get it running and then see what my options are. The PO is the type of person that will get any little problem fixed as soon as it's discovered and I got a huge wad of receipts to go through which show that.

Any suggestions on what to do with it?

It currently has an NA B230F engine and a 5 speed tranny with the electric OD. According to the PO everything works including the AC, cruise control and the OD.

I'm thinking it might be fun to scrounge up a turbo setup from another Volvo to play with and make this my daily driver instead of my truck.

Wheelman

Used to work with a guy who had a Turbo 240 wagon with 5 speed. It was pretty damn cool. He got a Dana 30 Trutrac for it (like a Quaife, but about $300 instead of $1500) and had IPD swaybars and springs and whatnot. He could lay two LONG stripes out of the driveway at work.

Oh yah, those Volvo turbos are cool..(My fater had a 240 and a 740, both turbo wagons) but if it were ME well.. :twisted: a 302/T5 would be in there so fast your head would spin.. as well as the tires. :lol: They are great cars man, no mater what's powering them. If you search around some, you'll find those old box's are actually very well designed, and are good handeling/smooth riding cars. Good luck man! :)

Wagz,

I've really thought hard about doing that. My son has a 1981 Caprice wagon that he wants me to build a 383 for and he's got a 305 in it now with a 200-4R behind it. I'm tempted to tell him I'll do the 383 in exchange for his 305 and auto tranny. He would still have to buy all the parts for the 383 but I'd take the 305 in exchange for my labor. Don't think that's really very fair though as he just spent about $1000.00 on it last summer to get it running decent. We tore it down and found the exhaust lobe for cylinder 2 was totally gone. Talk about reversion.

I've got an old Holley Pro-Jection unit that I thought about using the throttle body from with Mega-Squirt on the 305. That would make it much more interesting.

Not sure what I want to do yet though, I kinda wanted to go real low budget on this and just get some JY turbo parts to play with. I've also thought about just getting it running, then sell it to help finance the Z. Decisions, Decisions!!!

It's in such good shape I really hate to let it go. I looked closer at the little bit of rust and did find a small hole right behind the left rear tire in the wheel well. It's a tiny thing compared to what I've dealt with on the Z, hardly worth mentioning.

Maybe I'll do all of them. Get the turbo parts and run it till it blows up then swap in an SBC with a 700-R4 and a posi rear-end or maybe an LS1. Hey I know where there's a Jag V12 I might be able to get, AAAHHHHHH!!! I better get rid of it now before things get out of hand, who wants it!!!!! JK.

Wheelman

This is my Mother-in-law's car, but I'm using it while my car is under construction. The car is well made, stiff, decent handling for a slug. It has a 4 speed auto (electric overdrive is the 4th) it's got the N/A 2.3L and gets only 21 MPG. It impressed me when I went to replace the front brakes (although they need to be replaced every 10k). Two clips and they're off. When I replaced the in tank fuel pump I was plesantly surprised that there was an access hatch in the trunk which allowed me to easily replace it without the hassle of dropping the tank or gas smell in the car. I did have a heck of a time getting it to idle well, (poorly designed IACV degrades after 10k miles as well), and the MAF sensor connector was loose and could not be tightened which lead me on a wild goose chase for three months and $900 before I found the connector was loose, but a little tune-up grease and poof it's fixed for over 18 months. In the last 18 months, not a single thing failed or needed to be repaired. The paint looks fresh to boot.

It will go 90 steady, but has a heck of a time in 4th at 65.

Sorry for the long winded speech, hope something is useful in there. I have to say I don't like it because it has such trouble on the freeway especially when the AC is on. You would definately need to upgrade that engine.

Guest 73Turbo240z

+t kits are easy to come by... or go to a junkyard and find a 94+ b230ft motor so you get the big rods + squirters, then bolt on a volvo 15g or eclipse big 16g & turn up the wick... LH2.4 does a remarkable job of sorting it all out.

My last volvo:

bigburnout18jt.th.jpg