HybridZ

Acceptable + size offset

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I've been following all the threads regarding offsets, wheel/tyre sizes and flares. I just bought a set of flares so I've been looking for a suitable set of 16 inch wheels in 8 inch wide and 10 inch wide for the rear and was hoping I could avoid coilovers.

I used to run 15x7 SUPERLITE rims made by a company called PERFORMANCE WHEELS here in Melbourne. They are pretty much in the style of a minilite or panasport. They also come in a 15x8 size both made in +15 for the S30. These wheels are very popular in Australia, look good and are quite cheap. About AUD$220.00 per wheel. The only let down was the 15 inch size so I decided to go the bolt on adapter from the US and use a LENSO C5 copy in 17x7 inch with 215x45x17 tyres. Looks ok but you just can't compare it to the fat flared out ZG look.

Anyways, I have been on the phone to Performance wheels today. Information fresh off the press, they are just about to release a 16x8 superlite to suit the s30, as for 16x10 this will be coming at some point next year which is not too far off. Also on the books for next year is Superlites to be made in 17 inch. This sounds like a great alternative to Watanabes.

I'll be going the 16x8 & 16x10 combo personally. n terms of price I'm expecting them to be about AUD$300 per rim but that is a guess. Still good price considering PCD and offset would be good for S30. That would be about US$220.

My guess is that the 16 will come in a offset of -9, (backspace 113mm) for the 16x8 and -26 (backspace 105mm) for the 16x10. My guestimations for this offset are based on the fact that other styles they make in their range suited to S30 in the sizes above can be supplied in those offsets, which means they don't hit the suspension perch of stock suspension however flares are needed. I have included a progress pic of ZR240's rear end with a CHALLENGER 16x10 wheel made by PERFORMANCE WHEELS. This wheel is also -26 offset. Also pics of my old wheels 15x7 and 17x7.

Sulio

www.viczcar.com

The sooner the 16x10 come out the better. So if you like the sound of these wheels e-mail them and hassle them about lead times for 16x10 and I'm guessing this will get them out sooner!

http://www.performwheels.com.au/classic.htm

red-rears.jpg

[/b]:;"]normal_REAR%20END%20C5.jpg

[/b]:;"]normal_rebuild1.jpg

33_superlite_alloy_wheels.jpg

http://www.performwheels.com.au/classic.htm

Thank you everyone for your help. :) I've finally decided to go with RS Watanabe Japan. I'm thinking of 16x9 -13 front and 16x9.5/10 -19 rear. I'll have to make sure first. I found a popular rim company in Japan that will do custom size and offset, but it costs a fortune of course :( Well thank you again everyone. Aloha.

I needed 35mm spacers and I have no idea what the offset is, but know the front and rear are different. It used to rub on the rear control arm without spacers, and would bearly go over the front wheel hub without hitting the strut. I ended up getting the inside of the front spacer machined to fit over the hub - pain in the butt.....

Its about 10mm inside the wheel arch and the tyres feel pretty sensitive, but I only put them on last night and havent given in a hard time. It looks pretty secure but i want to get some of that threadlock stuff that locks nuts for good so i feel a bit better about having the spacers bolted on.

The first thing i noticed was the steering became much more reactive and smoother, and a little less body roll around corners, i feel every bump in the road but i think thats more the tyres than changing the track of the car.

wheels1.jpgwheels2.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest bpilati
The stock 14" steel wheels on each of my 1977 280Z's were 5.5" wide and had a '0' offset.

As to the original question. The only way to know for sure is to set the car up and then get in and measure it. Every car is a little different by the time it goes through several owners' date=' maybe a couple accidents, and some modifications.[/quote']

The offset is .59" (15mm) according to Datsun Service Manual for stock 240Z wheel size was 14-4.5J with 4.5" (114.3mm) bolt hole pattern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

just thought i'd give a heads up regarding these wheels, they have redone the style of them so they look more like panasports now. so as sulio (toecutter) was saying, performance wheels have now made their superlite style in 16X8, the only issue is that the only offset they are availible in is +12. hopefully 16X10 comes out by the time i want to put the zg flares on :evil:

reading through this thread, amongst others, i've read people have used 16X8 in offsets from 0 to +20 and they fit under stock guards, but i am not sure if this is using stock susspension of coilovers?

so before i buy them i guess i'd like clarification as to if they will fit under the rear guards without using coilovers, and possibily even the front? or will the fenders need to be rolled? the shop i'm looking to buy them from orginally said they would fit under all 4 corners, but now say they probably wont fit even under the back...

thanks in advance

I have to make a correction. Earlier I stated that the offset is 0.59" per Datsun Service Manual. The manual does state this, however it is an error. According to Motorsports Auto the correct offset is zero. They checked with Nissan and after much gnashing of teeth, Nissan finally admitted that it was an error in the manual. MSA told me it took a while for Nissan to finally admit the error. Frankly I don't understand the big deal, but maybe it's an Asian issue. :malebitch