HybridZ

Greddy E-manage

KTM-EXC

Okay I'll bite, what 'set of problems' does the Z31 swap come with? I've already read the sticky at the top several times... seems all good to me once you figure out the install.

I wasn't putting down the z31 swap it just has it's own set of shortcomings as no option is perfect in my opinion

Z31 ECU problems:

to the wiring difficulty (I'm sure it's been done enough now that it's better documented)

the optical distributor disk swap (you ever pull the disk out of a zx optical distributor? easier said than done)

you have to run a MAF ( I'm not a fan of additional piping if I don't have to)

Locked Program (it's still a stock ECU so it's locked and changes on the fly are not gonna happen)

No add ons ( it runs the engine and that's it (no add ons and special features)

if you add bigger injectors to get higher peak power your fuel maps are now too rich on the bottom

MSnS Problems:

YOU HAVE TO BUILD IT! (actualy it seems a lot of people are offering assembled units now)

you have to make your own harness (this is actually easier than it sounds and it helps in troubleshooting that you built it)

Moast stand alones problems:

THEY ARE FREAKIN EXPENSIVE! (I'm a cheap bastard)

like I said none are perfect it just seems to me if your gonna go through the trouble to do any of the managment system swaps you might want to add features and be able to tune the system to perform best with your particular setup

Guest bastaad525

well the one problem I already see with swapping out the CAS chopper wheel is that the bolt holding the stock one in on the dizzy I just bought is in there GOOD. I put a LOT of force on it and it wasn't budging.

Since I haven't gotten quite ready for the swap, I decided to just leave it alone for another time. Otherwise, it looks like a 30 second operation.

Well I've always been interested in MS but yeah I've been put off by the idea of building the thing myself or basically making a new wiring harness from scratch. Now there are prebuilt ones being sold and even premade harnesses so it appeals to me much more, but of course, going that route you pay quite a bit more as well. I guess I also just have very little confidence in my ability to wire the thing in and get it running with no problems. And though it is relatively cheap, $400+ is still a lot of money when you're broke like me :D

I'm going to try the 300zx ECU setup first and see how it goes, I have a feeling I'll like it quite a bit and it will be relatively bug free. Having read the sticky several times it doesn't seem there's a lot you can do wrong, there aren't even that many wires that need to be switched. And since I've never wanted to run more than 14psi in the interest of a longer happier living turbo, I'm sure it will be more than enough to cover me (especially with the RRFPR).

well the one problem I already see with swapping out the CAS chopper wheel is that the bolt holding the stock one in on the dizzy I just bought is in there GOOD. I put a LOT of force on it and it wasn't budging.

exactly, I destroyed one trying to get the wheel out and turbo distributors are far too far and few between to be destroying them changing the wheel, be sure you have a spare

as for what constitutes a shortcoming in a system, if you can't afford it it is a shortcoming!

and building the MSnS system scares a lot of people off as well as the open source code nature

and remember it's not just cas as discussed it's the wheel in the distributor and if your came apart so easily you are very lucky, after destroying one I've decided to leave them alone