HybridZ

Greddy E-manage

KTM-EXC

Up untill yesterday I had my money all ready to order MS untill I called my local dyno, http://www.f1dyno.com/

Which is also the only dyno with in this state I believe. Since there going to be the ones who tune it I wanted there input. They said they are not familiar with tuning MegaSquirt and prefer to tune with Greddy E-manage ultimate. It is not a standalone, just a piggy-back.

Now, I know not too many of you guys, if any use this but from what I read it seems like it won't work on the old Z ECU's so would I have to use a Z31 ECU? They said for around $400 they would install it and dyno tune it with the wideband and all the other stuff they have. sounds pretty good to me.

Any help would be apreciated, does any one know if I can get this to work with my car? Is there a down side to this system?

I am really getting agrivated! I was 100% set on going with MS but now I am not sure.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

This is where you have to make a decision, is it worth it in the long run for you to know how to tune the care yourself or would you rather always have the shop do it? I am not putting down either method, it depends on what you want. It is nice to put the responsibilty on someone elses shoulders, on the other hand it is nice to understand and tune yourself. If you plan to do a lot of mods over the years I would start to learn the tuning with any system you buy and not have to go to a shop with each upgrade.

I know it's not as good but it does have a lot of the same features of a stand alone.

I have already gotten a 85T ecu+MAF, which seems easy enough to swap even for me.

For the install of the e-manage, does anyone know how easy that will be. If it is easy enough I might just install it myself and then have the shop tune it for me.

the Z31 swap comes with it's own set of problems just do a search and you'll find all the info (good and bad), I only know one person running the e-manage, and yes it is in fact a piggyback, and they are having problems with it, and yes the greddy will limit your options, if your comfortable building a tuning your own car MSnS is an excellent choice, if you'd rather pay someone else to build and tune your car go greddy

I used the eManage on my Turbo Corolla and it worked fine and was able to properly fuel the engine using pretty massive injectors for a 1.6L engine...it was well tuned and I was able to lay down 218whp at only 7-8psi, which is pretty amazing for suck a little engine.

If I had to do it all over again I would go full standalone though.

Yasin

With the Z31 ECU and the greddy E-manage do you think I will be able to reach my long term goal of around 300whp?

Or am I stupid to expect that much power? Eventually I just want a car that runs high 12's to low 13's in the 1/4 . But for now I would be happy being anywhere close to running in the 13's or 14's. So basically I am just trying to get to that point as easily as posible.

Thank you guys for all of the help,

Rob

oh yah, Battle pope- Is that your car? That is awesome looking!

300hp is easy for the z31 ecu. It's maf that would be maxed out before that level. You can upgrade the maf to a z32 unit or a cobra maf to meter enough air for that level. Upgrading the maf/injectors requires reprogramming to work properly. Piggy backs don't work well with the z31 ecu, I wouldn't bother with that route.

Guest Battle Pope

oh yah' date=' Battle pope- Is that your car? That is awesome looking![/quote']

haha I wish! I do have a '76 280Z but it's nowhere near looking like that. Maybe someday. :)

Bernardd,

Thank you for replying, I had read that you could reprogram z31 ecu's, how much do you charge? That may be the easiest way to go. But that means I would now have to get an 88-89T ECU. I am not sure what is needed to make that ECU fit and I can't seem to find any. I know I need to change something with the 02 sensor and get dropping resistors but is there anything else? Were would I find an ECU from those years I can't find them anywere?

Thanks

Rob

Read the sticky on the conversion. You have to know what you're doing before doing the conversion. Your best bet would be to convert the car to the z31 ecu first, work out any bugs, then think about upgrading. PM me if you want details on what I can do.

you can get 300 whp with the stock ecu, I ran a 13.010 1/4 with the stock injection and it was overheating! no i/C just boost, fuel pressure and lightenss, the hard part is 300whp on the stock turbo, I think the stocker will fall just a bit short of the 300 hp mark

Guest bastaad525
the Z31 swap comes with it's own set of problems just do a search and you'll find all the info (good and bad),

Okay I'll bite, what 'set of problems' does the Z31 swap come with? I've already read the sticky at the top several times... seems all good to me once you figure out the install.

I've already gotten together an '88 turbo ecu and maf and am almost ready to install it... what problems should I be aware of?

Oh and I totally agree... don't pick Emanage over MS. Get the MS and a WB O2... that's like unlimited dyno runs right there, from what I understand tuning MS is actually pretty simple, and there are already maps available liek Moby's that are a great baseline to help you get started.

Bernard - is there an exact/rough known point (in hp to the wheels) where the Z31 MAF maxes out? I'm putting down about 240whp at 13psi of boost right now, when I switch over to z31 setup I'm planning on just leaving it at that boost level... will the MAF be good for that?

Bernard - is there an exact/rough known point (in hp to the wheels) where the Z31 MAF maxes out? I'm putting down about 240whp at 13psi of boost right now' date=' when I switch over to z31 setup I'm planning on just leaving it at that boost level... will the MAF be good for that?[/quote']

You SHOULD be ok with that boost level. You will most likely have maxxed the maf out by that point though. Grayzee is running 15-16psi with a stock turbo, no ic, water/alky inj, stock inj and his maf reads close to six volts. I don't want to say for sure either way, but it's been my experience that the z31 ecu will control higher boost than the stock efi. You'll still want to keep the fmu.