HybridZ

round or square ports on an 83 na head?

datsunan

My buddy is getting a new factor stock long block from somewhere in TX. His old setup with 280 block and 240 head had a bad HG that cause the block to rust in the cylinders so it had to be trashed. Can he use the SU's on a 83 na head? Are the ports the same? I don't know what the #'s of either head but I think the SU's need a round port, and I know my turbo ports are round but I had a 75 block and head that had square intake ports. Thanks Paul

The 83 Head (p79) has round exhaust but the 240Z head (E31/E88 ) has square exhaust and the exhaust manifold/header that is on the car now may or may not work with the P79 head. Headers seem to be more finicky about this than the orig exh manifolds. Will need to look a sealing of exhaust carefully.

All the FI heads that I have seen (N42/47, P79/90) have both the 240Z and the 280Z intake bolt patterns machined in the head. The intake should bolt up with no problems. T-stat housing mount is the same on all L-series.