HybridZ

LS1 Ignition Problem... Any of you LS1 guys experience this???

SO the car is buttoned up and I'm trying to fire it up and the damned thing is popping through the exhaust and intake... I"m using the old cam and crank trigger sensors and I'm wondering if they might have been damaged during the explosion when in the other motor... Also, My coil packs aren't bolted to their mounting frames since I don't have brackets for 1998 perimeter bolt heads... Ordered some, and got centerbolts, which I already have...

Ideas???

Mike

How about the coil packs, do you have the drivers side one on the passenger side? Thats my first guess. Did you put a degree wheel on to check the cam position when you installed it? What about the timing chain, is it one of those adjustable ones?

Dale

I have to ask the obvious here... There's a Driver's side and passenger side??? It matters?

The motor came to me fully assembled. All I did was install the oil pan and pickup, waterpump and accessories. The builder degree'd in the cam per Thunder's recommendation.

Mike

Just ordered a new cam sensor and crank sensor and I'll see what happens... I hope to get this thing firing soon... I'm not going to tear into the motor to see if the cam is degreed properly at this point... Got to much other stuff on my plate... This car may end up at a shop if I can't sort it with an easy fix...

Kinda tired of it at this point.

Mike

Im not sure where the Cam and cranks sensors are on an LS1 but often you have to have a slight air gap between the tip of the sensor and the tone wheel. If you dont have the gap correct it will either make the car run like crap or not run at all. You can buy these little sticky pads(we call them warts at work) that you stick on on the end of the sensor and it gives the sensor s the proper air gap. They are about as thick as a CD.

If the senors are in a fixed position then this is probably not the problem but if the mounting holes are enlongated this could be your problem.

Guy

Apparently I had the coil packs flipped... Caused them to fire in the wrong sequence... We'll see...

Im awaiting the crank and cam sensor. Since I've already got the intake off, I'm putting that one on before I bolt the intake back down. Might go ahead and grab a map sensor as well.

Mike

Hell, I'd stay up all night just to hear it fire!

After reading all the stuff on LS1tech I had it stuck in my head that it was side to side they were talking about, I assume too much. I could see flipping them would be easy. When I took mine off I labled them with tape as pas and drv, so they went on the same way.

Hey! Good luck Mike! I know it will do good for you. I have been tunning my TR230 a little and have gotten it to run ok now without any codes. If you have EFILive and Flashscan it really makes it alot easier to do then LS1Edit.

Well UPS came and went... No sensors... :roll:

Stereo is back in and wired back up... Mufflers are on, and the battery is charging. Still having issues bleeding the LAPD products bleeder extender package, and I need to adjust the shifter for reverse, but otherwise, buttoning the intake back down after installing a new cam sensor, I should know if I still have issues or not... :cool:

I'm close! :2thumbs:

Mike