HybridZ

SBC Oiling issues

Here's the deal : My SBC has a timing cover / oil pan leak (cheap Mr. Gasket two piece timing cover), so I'm pulling the pan. (incredibly easy on a setback SBC in a Z). I bought a Edelbrock 2 piece cover that is a better design and looks like it should not leak.

I was driving a buddie's V8 Z the other day and going up a hill, I hammered it and the oil pressure dropped to zero. (Mike, this was Ken's car, going up the same piece of road he passed you on last week). The oil was full, but obviously uncovering the pickup.

I talked with another seasoned V8Z guy (Glen McCoy) who suggested the post-1978 Corvette Oil Pan, pickup and windage tray as a good road race setup.

Does anyone have experience getting a 7.5" tall (block surface to bottom of pan) SBC wet sump system to work well in the corners? I have an old 7.5" tall 327 pan on the engine now, and any more depth is the wrong way to go as the pan is a bit too low as it is! The Moroso Road Race pan is deeper, so that isn't and option.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

I bought a Edelbrock 2 piece cover that is a better design and looks like it should not leak.

Does anyone have experience getting a 7.5" tall SBC wet sump system to work well in the corners? I have an old 7.5" tall 327 pan on the engine now, and any more depth is the wrong way to go as the pan is a bit too low as it is!

Pete, noone on the fbody lists has had success with any true two piece timing covers other than the pricey comp cams thick aluminum one FWIW.

For pans I used the '68 GMPP (for their zapper perhaps)sbc pan and windage tray on my 327. It wasn't cheap but worked v. well back then and still does now. If you don't already have money into the tray/pan I'd go full bore on a Canton pan. I don't have their contact info but they are THE source for roadracing pans. Moroso/Hamburger do not measure up the same. This local builder who does a lot of $$$$$ US destined motors for drag cars/drag boats/roadrace cars has dynoed them all at one time or another and he said 25ftlbs was an easy gain on my setup with a Canton pan. But the Canton for my setup offered me less Xmember clearance (mine's 280zx remember) so a 4th gen buddy bought it (new style one piece oil seal/block on mine as well, no longer my 327).

So I'd go with GMPP pan/tray for ~$185 discounted if money's tight or if it can in way be afforded a Canton pan for a few bucks more. They do an awesome job of oil control and be sure to get the matching pickup from them. Your buddies pickup might be too high (common error) or poor to no windage tray or low oil as well. I've NEVER had an oil psi drop on any maneuver with any of my treads. Current setup is 'hacked' OE windage tray to fit my 'hacked' oil pan and worked fine at events last summer.

I have a Moroso Tsump pan with WIndage tray, and 4 trap doors and the baffles installed... I have noticed no trouble at all with oil presure drop. The pump is a hivol pump.

I've also heard nothing but bad from the split TCs......

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

The word I'd forgot was that GMPP was for their Z28. If bucking up for new stuff be sure to get something KNOWN for great oil cleanup off the crank with a scraper or a closer fit mesh tray besides the usual sump/baffles etc. It's a lot more than just keeping some oil at the pickup to satisfy a psi guage, if paying $ you deserve to minimize your oil on the crank which is where the 'free' torque comes in to greatly improve efficiency. The 'strands' of oil really add up and the more you can intercept the better smile.gif Pete, if you get a chance to check out a Canton do so. I know you'd enjoy just checking it out:-) I have a chunk of pics I should post up from when I had mine.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I have to echo what Ross said about Canton oil pans... My buddy has one on his 426 stroker motor and it is a piece of artwork! They are pricey though...$400+ for the pan, dipstick tube and pickup!

I use the canton Accusump and canton filters at the oil and fuel locations...Good stuff, and I highly recommend them!

Mike

------------------

mjk

I was checking out oil pans in the new Jeg's catalog, They show a Moroso SC Series Circle track oil pan. It has a 6 1/2" sump depth, 4 trap door baffles, and removable louvered windage tray. It even has a fitting for an oil temp sending unit. It holds 5 quarts. Part# 710-21800 for $228.99. It's the top one on page 51

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

Thanks for all the tips. I need to get a GMPP catalog!

MikekZ - the thing that concerns me with that pan is it probably is optimized for left turns only wink.gif.

If I go to www.cantonracing.com, all they have is filters. But I searched on "Canton Oil" and found :

http://poske.com/parts/Canton/index.htm and they have a picture of the Canton pan. Their description is:

- The best wet sump pan on the market.

- 6 trapdoors and 3 runners.

- Bolt in slosh baffle with one way screen windage tray with built in scraper.

- Oil level check, temp fitting and magnetic drain plug.

PART# DESCRIPTION PRICE

11-120 7" Small Block Chevy pre 1980 $209.00

w/left side dipstick. 8 Quart

capacity

11-120.jpg

Is that the pan I need?

They also have a pickup for the pan for $27.

It looks like it would fit my application, since the crossmember is at the very front of the engine. My only concern is my exhaust may hit. I think I can check that based on their picture, for the driver's side anyway.

...Again, it shows the price differences between Ford and Chevy! My buddy paid about $400 for his (near idenytical) SBF pan...

Pete, I might have to get me one of these!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest RON JONES

Super street yes,Street stock no,thats a Stock Car class.Thats a great price for that pan.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited January 18, 2001).]

I talked to Michael at Canton racing. He said that the pan that goes with that part number (11-120) is a left turn pan.

P/N 15-240 is a 7" deep, seven quart (6 in the pan) road race pan with 5 trap door baffles, 3 runners, plugs for oil level and oil temp senders, left hand dip stick, 12" long by 13-3/4" sump (at the rear of the pan) with the right side sloped for stock starter clearance. He's sending me a catalog so I can look through the other pans. They have dimensions in the catalog. He said the pan is $325. I bet it would be cheaper through Summit or Jeg's.

Pete, before you order drop me a line. I paid ~$220US for my 15-244T (Lt1 by memory) Canton(wholesale) and will see if I can recontact the bud that got me that pricing before for you. Their is a HUGE range in their pricing structure as you and others have found out.

Ross (won't pay above wholesale for anything but groceries) C

Originally posted by pparaska:

Does anyone have experience getting a 7.5" tall (block surface to bottom of pan) SBC wet sump system to work well in the corners? I have an old 7.5" tall 327 pan on the engine now, and any more depth is the wrong way to go as the pan is a bit too low as it is! The Moroso Road Race pan is deeper, so that isn't and option

Pete,

I'm running a pan from a 70-72 Chevy Z-28 Not a real fancy piece,but I've ran this setup at several driving schools last year ...running Goodyear GSCS and Hoosier racing tires with no loss of oil pressure....Roebling Road & Carolina Motorsport. Yes they both have a couple of curves>) BTW..I noticed in Summit that their Summit brand pan is $119.99 and best of all...7 inch deep sump....# SUM-121002

David