HybridZ

SR20DET - what do I need and where do I get it

Lewis Maudlin

OK, I am going to put an SR20DET into my 280Z. What all do I need? Where is a good supplier? Which is best for this swap S13, S14, S15? Is the 6 spd, the best transmission? I like to go fast, but I would like the highest final drive ratio for good gas mileage. Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me?

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The 6spd Has A Lower Final Gear Ratio Than The 5spd.... So Crusing Rpms Are Higher And Top Speed Is Lower With Thte 6spd.

The Best Sr Engine Is The S13redtop For The Good Flowing Head.... Which Helps Create More Power When Upgrading.... But Essentially All The Sr's Are Good.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I'm Considering Swapping Over To The 6spd On My S13 For The Close Ratios, Better First Gear (smoother, Quicker Off The Line), And Extra Gear.... Match That With A 3.7 Lsd And You Get Decent Acceleration And Top Speed, Or Go 4.08's For Ultra Qucik Acceleration.... Kind Of Bad For Turbos As They Like Longer Gears.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

But That Turbo Can Be Purchased In The Aftermarket For Less Than The Difference Between The S13 Motorset And S15 Motorset.

For Example The S13 Motorsets Are Available As Low As $1800 Where As The S15's Are Hard To Find For Less Than $3500.

The Gt28r Or S15 Turbo Is About $800 Brand New, With The Piping Kit Add $100.

OK, so the S13 is cheaper. Any other advantages of the S15? I saw one for sale with the 6-spd for $3200. The S13 would only be what? $1800? But then if you add the turbo for $900 you are already up to $2700. So for the extra $500 I am getting the 6-spd. I am just learning about these. I have done a V-8 swap in the past. Doesn't it seem to make sense to get the extra power up front?

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Depends On You Plans....

The S13 Is Initially Cheaper, Has A Better Flowing Head To Support More Hp, Doesn't Have Vvtc, Has A 5spd....

The S15 Is Twice The Cost Initially, Has A Ball Bearing T28, Has A 6spd People Regard As Weak Above 300whp, Has Vvtc (most People Do Not Like This), 480CC INJECTORS, AND A MAF THAT IS PRETTEY UNIQUE THAT WILL SUSTAIN 300WHP.

If You Plan On Alot More Power Than The S13 Is The Better Option As You Will Be Deleting Alot Of The Initial Benefits Of The S15.... If You Just Want A Drop In 250chp Motor That You Are Goign To Leave Be Then The S15 Is Better.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Like For Example My Goals For My Car Would Be: 300-350whp, Ultra Fast Reving, And 8000rpm Limit.

So I Already Have A S13 Redtop.... I Plan On Completely Building With Forged Pistons (hpc Coated), Stock Crank Knife-edged/balanced, Stock Rods Lightend/balanced, Custom Coated Bearings, Custom Head Work, Hks 256/264 Cams, Gt28r Turbo, Lightend Pullies, Lightend Flywheel, And Either Close Ratio Gear Set Or S15 6spd. Granted Thats A Simplified Version Of My Plans But You Get The Gist.

What I would like is to dump in a motor that will get me about 300hp to the wheels. That is what I had in my v-8 Z. I enjoyed driving it. However, I only got about 12mpg out of it (read as foot problem). I currently drive 70 miles a day. I would also like some reliability. I imagine that boosting the S13 a whole lot will decrease reliability.

So am I understanding correctly that the S13 flows better and has a heavier duty transmission. The only weak point on it as compared to the S15 is the turbo which can be replaced for $900?

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

In Simple Terms Yes....

My Setup As It Sits:

1993 Redtop

9.5lb Flywheel

Intake Manifold

Tubular Exhaust Manifold/dumptube

Custom Vildini Fmic/3" Exhaust

Act Street/strip Clutch

3.9 R200 (plan To Get Lsd, Soon)

15psi Stock T25

Is 250whp

On Stock 7psi Boost Its 200whp. With Stock Boost I Ran A 13.1 And Get 31.7mpg On The Highway And About 26-28mpg Daily Driving When I'm Nice.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Thats How I Bought The Car From The Previous Owner.... Who Had Everything But The Clutch And Flywheel (i Believe) Done By Vildini. All I Can Say Is That The Guys At Vildini Are Awesome At What They Do And They Know Their Stuff.

If You Would Like Some More Tips On Sr's Or Other Options Let Me Know As I Have Been In The 240sx Scene For About 4 Years Now And Have Delt With All Those Engines (ka, Sr, Ca, Rb, Etc.) Before.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The Only Difference Is The Chassis.... My Car Is A 72 240z. With Me, 14gals Of Gas, And The Car It All Weighs 2310.

The 280z Will Be Slightly Heavier So The 1/4 Mile Time Will Go Up And The Economy Will Go Down Slightly.

Well, I don't think the 280Z is going to be heavier by much. I have been on the Z scene for a while. The main contributors to the weight of the 280Z were:

1. The crash bumpers (gone).

2. The heavier transmission (will be gone) and R200 rear end.

3. The fuel injection and emissions (will be same as 240 after swap)

Once both cars are swapped, the weight will be within a few pounds of the same.

Do you think the SR20DET is the way to go? It sounds like exactly what I wanted. A 12 second daily driver that gets decent gas mileage when the boost isn't dialed up. I know my goal isn't very realistic, but you have to have a goal.

I thought that there were significant changes to the unibody on the 280Z that added some of the weight? I could be way off, but I was under the impression that that was a major contributor to the weight difference between the 240 and 280's.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The 280z Also Has 3 Layer Steel Unibodies Compaired To The Early 2 Layer 240z Bodies.

Its Very Realistic..... I Have Buddies With 11 Second 240sx's They Daily Drive And Still Get 25mpg. I Would Recommend The Sr20det To Anyone..... The Only Thing I Think You Will Be Dissappointed On Is The Torque. Its Not Like A V8 At All, The Torque Isn't Brute And Sudden Its Very Linear With The Sr20det. The Sr Really Doesn't Come Alive Until About 4000 Rpms But Then Its A Missile From There. The Major Benefit Of The Sr20 Is The Fact That You Are Shaving Almost 200lbs Off The Front Of The Car, Which Helps With Balance On The 280z's And Makes The Early Cars More Tail Biased. I Have Had Both A V8 Datsun And This Sr20det One.... I Can Tell You I Enjoy My Sr Car More Because Its Less Of A Smoke Show, Unexpected, Sounds Mean When The Turbo Is Squealling, And Gets 3x The Gas Mileage.

right now projectrb240sx is running stock harness, ecu and maf, but once he goes bigger injectors and turbo to get his 350-400whp he will go standalone. his car is running a blitz sbc-spec s boost controller to adjust his boost settings. for fuel/engine management for ease of tuning i would recommend power FC.