HybridZ

auto salavge in LA/New Orleans

5foot2

The stories and video out of the south are as sad as it gets and I pray for those people not yet in a safe place. It hit me last night watching the news that most all of the cars and trucks in just New Orleans alone are totaled. The salvage yards down there may be filled to the sky with rebuildable cars, core motors and such in a month or two.

For those of you who live in areas that have floods/hurricanes, do they make it to the salvage yards or are they turned into scrap straight away? Newer cars must have the salvage values lowered a bunch if it gets flooded do to the electronics.

When the floods hit St Louis 10 years or so ago, the city had entire warehouses full of goods buried. No salvage. Claimed they were health hazzards due to all the sewage and chemicals in the flood waters. I know a guy who had his entire life's belonging buried that way as he was in the process of moving when Mayflower stored his house hold belongings in a warehouse by the river.

The problem is pretty massive. Hard to say how things will work out. The only thing for sure is it will take a month or two to sort out.

The "new" cars will show up at a dealership near you. Sold as new to the general public then the problems will begin... Be sure to peel the carpet back on any "new" car you buy over the next several months and check for water damage. Scarry!
What do you bet most of these end up on eBay? Hard to inspect for flood damage before the bill is paid...